Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday / **LIVE NOW**/ Managing mental health in the workplace

Rosie, it's a good point about 'not disclosing is part of managing' your illness.  Some people say that they work better when they are not in a position to discuss their health (mental or physical). 

And it's a pity that you're concerned about your job because you're a contractor.  One day, I hope we can talk about any illness. For example, if you lived with diabetes you may/may not disclose.  And who cares either way ... you're still you!

That's beautiful. Good to know. Plus interesting perspective. I never thought about it like that.

I'm reflecting further on your comment about the community services sector and can see clearly how it's possible people working in that industry may be emotionally overwhelmed with the issues they are already dealing with from their clients.

Is self care a usual practise in community services?....... And if so - who pays for it? The organisations or the individuals?....

No, I agree, it's not quite like a broken leg Lisa Jane. 

Education for workplaces is critical.  Mental health conditions often come with ups and downs, cycles etc.

And a general comment:

If you are feeling OK to return to work, you could go to your treating practitioner and discuss your role and what parts of it you would be able to do. 

By law, workplaces must make adjustments to support you.  And being at work is so important to assist in recovery and having routine, social interactions and contributing to your workplace community. 

The adjustments respond to the needs or issues of the individual employee and can include:

• Offering flexible working arrangements (for example, flexible start and finish times, work from home)
  • Changing some aspects of the job or work tasks (for example, exchanging a single task for a job consisting of a number of smaller tasks)

Changing the workplace or work area (e.g. moving desk locations)

Purchasing of modifying equipment.

Reasonable adjustments apply to all areas of employment, including:

• Recruitment, selection and appointment
  • current work
  • career development
  • training
  • promotion, transfers or any other employment benefit.

Changing some aspects of the job or work tasks

• Exchanging a single task for a job consisting of a number of smaller tasks
  • Changing work duties for a period of time until the employee is able to perform their normal work duties
  • Writing work instructions down instead of just giving them verbally
  • Help the employee prioritise tasks & offer additional meeting times to discuss the progress of work tasks

Thanks @SunnyDaisy.

I hope so too!

I've disclosed at a couple of jobs, once when I was quite well and more recently as a result of a bad flare up. Currently I work in the mental health sector for a significant provider of support services. There are a few peer workers in our office and some other lived experience specific roles, and there are several others who like me, were drawn to the job because we figured it would be an understanding environment. Which happily it is.

With my recent flare up I was able to be very honest and say that I was having a hard time, and needed time off. We discussed my action plan and what could be done to reduce the pressure on me at work. It made a HUGE difference and has greatly speeder up my improvement, and got me back to loving my job.

That's awesome @chookmojo !

Chookmojo, that's it!  It made your return to 'wellness' quicker.  So first of all, and most importantly, YOU benefit from that. 

But the ripple effect is huge:  your family, friends and wider community benefit.  You are able to contribute and participate how you would like to.

Your team members, manager and workplace  benefit because you love your job (and not many people say that, no matter what the state of their mental health).

The Mental Health Commission says the same thing:  let's keep people at work, with adjustments as a first option.  And if returning to work, let's work together to make this possible early, so that the person experiencing the illness is till part of the work community and is contributing in a meaningful way.

Those adjustments would really help me.

Especially writing the work instructions down and breaking the task up into smaller tasks.

I reckon I could probably ask for that in my situation.

Yeah I am very lucky. The other job I disclosed at was not as supportive, but not negative about it either.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance