Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday / **LIVE NOW**/ Managing mental health in the workplace

Rising Star, self-care is the employee's responsibility.  It may be taking time out to be in nature, going for a walk, spending time with friends, reading, having a bath, listening to music.

Sometimes when we are overwhelmed, we may overlook our own wellbeing and not stop until we are worn out, stressed, unmotivated, in bed with a virus etc.

It's so important to have boundaries in whatever job we do so that we get down time and feel rejuvenated for the time we are working.

Excellent.

Some people laminate the task list and keep it for ongoing use, if needed.  They literally tick the list to ensure they are methodically moving through the task on days they have trouble focussing.

And no task is too big or too small for this to be done with.

Rosie, I really admire your commitment to managing your illness, at the same time I feel sad that, in a way this may put you in an isolating experience. It also gives you a bit more control I assume.

I really hope your contract turns into a full time job. With your level of dedication to yourself I'm sure you're a valuable team member.

I'm wondering if your mental illness has given you greater interpersonal skills and therefore are intact a greater asset to any organisation.

I'm logging off because I'd like to watch Who do you think you are on TV.

Good night Everyone. I appreciate the chat.

I'd like to make one last comment SunnyDaisy. I understand it's the employee's responsibility for self care, but if a person working within the community sector is working in an environment where they may be overwhelmed by other people's issues - why then doesn't the organisation provide extra leave for mental health days or pay for a massage a year.

Suppose I'm saying - why don't organisations have mental health strategies with $'s attached......

I really must go. Night

Rosie, so many workplace adjustments can be made.  Some are simple things, like the task being broken down. 

And they could be used by anyone.  For any reason.  It does't just apply because someone has a diagnosed illness.

I listen to music at work because we work in an open plan office.  Many of us do that.  We're not doing anything more than assisting ourselves to get our job done. 

Sometimes when the term "mental illness" is heard in relation to workplaces, people think it will be all difficulties and time consuming issues.  This isn't necessarily the case. 

Thankyou 🙂 sorry - coming and going trying to get my big little one to at least stay in her bed!!!

I'm a teacher and the position of my dept is that there isnt a realistic way to reduce my load day to day so I have to ready to return to work.. i.e. they can't employ me for half of a day (not that that's what i'm asking for anyway!!!) but anyways.. hoping my psychiatrist will just sign off on a clearance by end of the year so i can make a fresh start next year...

LJ

Some workplaces have Employee Assistance Programs (EAP's) which are free for all employees to access, and in some cases their family members can also call.

This can be for any issue - personal, financial, mental-health, career change etc.

Some workplaces encourage mental health days - 'personal leave' is for mental or physical health.

LJ, by law, your employer must consider other options. 

"An adjustment is only regarded as unreasonable if it causes unjustified hardship to the employer – that is, undue financial or other costs or difficulties."

Even if you were to return to work on different duties for now, your employer needs to do everything it can to have you return. 

I understand that you may not want to take this route, however, it is worth being aware that your employer may not know their legal rights and responsibilities.

So true @SunnyDaisy!

I'm really glad we discussed some of the adjustments that can be made - some of them I do out of instinct to keep myself focused, but actually making them explicit is really helpful - like laminating the work instruction, breaking things down - a lot of the people I work with do this as well now that I think about it.

But then the verbal instructions can be so hard, so I write them down as they say them to refer back to when my brain is like fireworks Smiley Happy

Imagine if you did have a broken leg.  You'd be at work on crutches.  Then having time off for physio or other rehab.  No questions asked.

Mental illness is no different by law.  It is not acceptable to say "when the plaster is off and you're running around come back."  We find ways with physical illness, and so too must we be creative in accommodating mental illness in the workplace.

45% of Australians of working age (16-65 years) will experience a diagnosed mental illness.  It's time to talk about mental illness at work.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance