Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday / **LIVE NOW**/ Managing mental health in the workplace

Thanks for the dicussion tonight.

Goodnight.

Great idea ... preparing in advance for fireworks!

And asking people to slow down their verbal instructions can be useful too.  That way you get to write things down.

What things have others used to manage in their day-to-day life at work?

I have just joined this discussion - I know that it finishes soon. Ironically I have been trying to do some work. One of my questions is this. It is my understanding that you do not have to disclose a mental illness when applying for a job. I am in the process of applying for a job and in the application form it says if I don't declare all of my health issues etc, they can not only sack me but charge me as well if they find out I have lied on the form. 

On a day to day basis, routine has been really important to me. So in the workplace I ask people to make meetings with me, rather than just corner me with big questions that will throw me off what I'm doing.

Here's a couple of tips I have for managing at work ...

1.  STOP (Mindfulness in the workplace (3 minutes)

Stop what you are doing

Take a long, deep breath

Observe what is happening in your body (tight shoulders, pace of heart, tension anywhere else in body, posture, speed of thoughts). Don’t engage in it, just observe for 2-3 minutes

Proceed with what you were doing

2.  Time Management

18 minute plan

http://99u.com/workbook/41299/an-18-minute-daily-plan-for-finding-focus

3. Ask yourself: Is this best serving my greatest need right now? If not, leave the task and focus on the most important piece.

Great way to keep focussed.

And it's asking people to be respectful of your time.

I take a lot of notes too and keep lists, this helps me to keep track when I am juggling lots of tasks or shifting priorities. 

Putting in headphones helps to block out auditory distractions, which helps me to focus. I use my calendar to block out time with my plans for the day and set reminders too. 

Hi Annabelle

Have a look at the earlier threads of tonight's discussion.  It offers information about disclosure.

If you don't meet any of the criteria, you don't need to disclose.  That is the law.

Discrimination

Discrimination in the workplace against someone with a mental illness (or other disability) is unlawful in Australia under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA).

Sensible.  Clever.  And perfectly useful tools.  Thanks.

Hope everyone remembers to find ways that best supports them at work, on a daily basis.

Thanks @SunnyDaisy and everyone for sharing their experiences tonight.

I think we will continue to have many discussions about some of the topics that were raised tonight.

If you use some of the strategies shared tonight, we would love for you to share that back in the Forums when you feel comfortable. Let us know how it goes!

TY.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance