Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday / **LIVE NOW**/ Managing mental health in the workplace

Hi @SunnyDaisy

I think this is such an important issue.

In my experience when I have disclosed I have depression, there was good intent, but not much in terms of open discussions of how they could help me with my work load.

However, I found when an incident happened (a family member passed away) my manager and collegues rallied around me and were fantastic.

I found this interesting - it was like they understood when an incident happened which they could relate to, or empathise with, they were fantastic.

This is a really common response, Finding My Way.  People don't want to disclose because they are concerned that:

they will be judged,

they may miss out on a promotion,

they will not be understood

It's a bit like a physical health concern Eagle ... it is tangible, more well known and no stigma!

Many managers want to help and don't know what to do.  Simply asking you what you need at work, could assist them in supporting you.

That's interesting @Eagle

I think that's where the education comes in.

Thanks for sharing.

Does your service operate in Darwin?

I'd like to see 'mental wellbeing and mental illness' on staff meeting agendas.  Safety issues are being raised all the time in workplaces - some workplaces have OH&S committees just for this. 

@SunnyDaisy , do you have recommendations on what considerations one should make when deciding to disclose their mental illness

Also - when should someone disclose?

Hi Eth, Mindful Employer is a National program.  Workshops or webinars can be delivered wherever required. 

We also have an eLearning course.

SANE set up Mindful Employer 5 years ago in repsonse to community demand ... a lot of people were contacting the SANE Helpline asking what to do about an employee or colleague who they were concerned about.

Hi @eth
You can find out more info here http://www.mindfulemployer.org/

🙂

There is no legal obligation for an employee to disclose information about their mental illness or a disability unless it is likely that it will put their safety, or that of their colleagues or workplace, at risk. Disclosure of a mental illness can be a difficult decision for someone to make.

Considerations before disclosing:

Who to speak to at work (usually your manager, but only if you are comfortable doing that)

Be prepared for your own reaction to disclosure ... it may be triggering or challening as vulnerability may be brought up.  Have supports in place beforehand, whether that is a friend you can call, an appointment with your treating practitioner (counsellor, GP, psych etc) booked in, a nice dinner planned to cook that evening.

Be aware that your manager may not respond the way you 'expect' them to.  They may respond in a positive way, however, it still may be a surpise. 

Your manager may also move into 'performance management' mode if you disclose that your illness effects your ability to be engaged, motivated or focused at work.  Although this is not the most appropriate response, it is good to be aware it could happen.

Having disclosed, you many not receive any ongoing 'check-in' chats or support at work.  Sadly, this is still true for many workplaces.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance