Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Food and Drink Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Sorry it’s triggering for you @Bow @BlueBay 

I am just trying to eat healthy because I don’t want to feel so unwell, not for weighl loss/ gain. Sorry if I triggered you. 

Re: Food and Drink Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hi @BlueBay , @Bow , and everyone else here 💛

I just wanted to jump in and acknowledge that while these discussions can be informative and beneficial for many, there are also many of us in the community with lived experiences with eating disorders that may be impacted by posts around eating and dieting. For everyone posting in this discussion, please refer to the guidelines to make sure your posts are safe and respectful of everyone in this public forum.

If anyone reading along is experiencing distress, please reach out to the Butterfly Foundation or crisis services like Lifeline 13 11 14 for support.

cloudcore 

I'm with you @Bow and @BlueBay I also find this topic difficult. I have noticed when my anxiety flares I become a little controlling about food, mainly because I want people in my family to be healthy and it's an easy thing to control when everything else feels like it's spiralling. I find I have to think about why I want control back, as in what is happening in my life or what is causing me anxiety that I feel the need to control. If I can work on those things I find things realign again. 

You are right, we need carbs to function and everything in moderation is a good mantra, even moderation itself 😉I hear you and the fact that you still read these topics that might be triggering shows just how resilient you both are 💞

Re: Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hello to selected respondents and visitors to this thread.

@Shaz51, @Appleblossom , @StuF , @MDT , @Gwynn , @SmilingGecko , @Molly22 , @Former-Member , @cloudcore , @Paperdaisy

This thread is about health and those choices that may be among the major contributors to our health.

I am only including in the list of people tagged, those who have indicated that the topic is of interest and value to them or who may be interested in, or concerned about how the thread develops. I ask that all members who believe that the content and material in this thread may be personally unsettling or offensive, judiciously avoid this thread. This is easily accomplished, if by chance you are inadvertently tagged, by reading the topic name and deciding not to proceed to the thread.

The initial invitation was offered, by me, to people as being inclusive of all who may be interested and may find value in the anticipated discussion. However, I have to make my own decision, and take personal responsibility for my participation, involvement and activity in this, or any other thread.

The request made of members, active in the thread, is that those members offering comments ensure that they are familiar with and comply with the guidelines relating to content which are reprinted here from the

Guidelines & Info:

"Safety

As language can be triggering or elicit a trauma response, out of respect for people with a lived experience and survivors, please

• do not publish content that contains graphic or specific details, or any descriptive account, of:

• your or anyone else's medication or dosages

• eating disorder behaviours (recommending diets, descriptive weight loss/gain strategies or any numbers relating to weight, BMI, clothing size, c******s or exercise)

• self-harm methods

• suicide methods

• sexual or physical abuse

• or any other content that others may find distressing or be harmful in any way."                {Underlining and bold print added by me}
      Advice given prior to posting: "The message body contains c******s, which is not permitted in this community. Please remove this content before sending your post."

I make every reasonable endeavour to see that no offence is experienced by another member. Unfortunately, however, by the very nature of the forum and the reason for its existence, it is likely that I, being a member of this forum, will find in many of the discussions, comments or observations, content that I personally find challenging and or unsettling. I have a responsibility and obligation, to myself and others, to ensure, as far as is possible, that I exercise individual and personal care about the material that I read and to which I respond. It is advisable for me to seek professional advice if I consider that my reactions are severe or excessive.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

@HenryX 

Your thread was still a good idea.  Food is foundational to health.

I can be triggered by so many conversation on the forum.  I rarely post that I have been triggered but simply withdraw.  Food can be a touchy topic for me too, but somehow I am different in my reactions to discussions about it than others. My issues go back to the generation befores substantial issues with food access, and I am frustrated when grown up adults eat too much rubbish.  I also had profound issues about quality of food.  I was too accepting of orphanage conditions (cos bullied), must have have had big issues before we were found and placed,  As I had 2 smaller siblings to care for and the shock of missing parents, there were a range of issues for me, so I have to analyse each one separately. I have deep issues and ambivalence about being lucky enough to have plenty of food today.  However I feel responsibility to provide and model for others.  A sense of social responsibility went very deep.  Maybe it also helped save me.

Dinner yesterday

Grated red beet and carrot salad with pine nuts, cos lettuce and dressing.

Barraumndi with half red onion, chives and spring onions from garden,  Sauteed in butter.

Half avocado as side..

Plenty of colour.

Re: Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Good Morning @Appleblossom 

and other members visiting this thread

@Appleblossom, thank you for your post and description of your background, personal experience and journey, that has so profoundly influenced your views on life and its bearing on your selection, appreciation and enjoyment of food and beverages in the present.

In similar fashion to you, my childhood experiences, even now, have an impact on selection, preparation, appreciation and enjoyment of different types and styles of food and even the manner in which they are eaten and consumed.

I also share that ambivalence, that you describe, about not only the superabundance of food, but also the forms in which it is offered in the shopping and market environment. And share your belief in that deep sense of personal responsibility for appropriate modelling of food selection, application, appreciation and use today.

I like the way that you described your response to various conversations and content on the forum.

Like my choices in food, type, styles and content, I can choose to be active in various conversations or not, as I see fit. That activity is determined in terms of the ways in which the conversation may, or may not meet my specific needs at any given time. It is the respect and courtesy, that I extend to other people and their right to free and open conversation, that not only allows, but obligates me to make appropriate choices about my involvement and activity, or otherwise, in those conversations, whether that be in the forum, or elsewhere in my life.

I can certainly try to impose my wishes on others, at various times and in a variety of ways and circumstances, where it may justifiably be considered that I have no right to do so. In such situations, it is often far more respectful, courteous and appropriate for me to simply withdraw from the conversation. Thus allowing others the peaceful occupation of a writing and communication space and format that they have every right to occupy and enjoy, without my intrusion and possibly disturbance, through my activity and involvement. If I chose to do otherwise, I may not only cause disturbance and disruption for others and possibly discomfort to myself, but could, in that way, make myself unwelcome in that space, which I would prefer did not occur.

If I expect respect and courtesy, I need also to actively offer respect and courtesy. While I need to be mindful and reasonably cautious about the position of others, I do not interpret that as a reason for me to say nothing at all, in the ever present fear of offending someone else.

{A lot of what I have written and now write, particularly where it reflects my own opinion, or may have an impact on others, is specifically written in the first person, in order to avoid being directive and thus, possibly causing offence to others}

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Edits:  at 11:00 AM, AWST on Tues 11 Jan '22.

• Change to name of thread from "Food and Drink ....", to "Food and Beverage ...."
  • Inclusion and use of word and reference to courtesy, in addition and in conjunction with references to respect.
  • Other smaller changes or additions for clarity.

Apologies for even commenting and causing drama. I’ll stay away to where I’m welcome

Good food so important for managing mental issues.  Minimum alcohol intake also important.

@Shaz51, @Appleblossom@Emelia8@Anastasia , @StuF , @Hams , @Gwynn , @Smiling_Gecko@Clawde@greenpea , @Dimity@Owen45@Faith-and-Hope@Adge@frog ,@Everan , @Former-Member , @Zoe7 , @BPDSurvivor , @Molly22 , @Mumi@TAB , @Sphinxly  , @Rhye , @flybluebird , @cloudcore , @Paperdaisy , @Daisydreamer 

{Longish Post ~760 words}

“Gluten: A Benefit or Harm to the Body?”

It is my understanding that gluten is, for most people, other than the estimated 1 in 133 people who exhibit the symptoms of gluten intolerance, acceptable and harmless as part of 'normal' food consumption and is likely to be beneficial.

The following information, in blue print, has been extracted, by me, from the following website:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/gluten/

Terms of Use

{For the information on the Harvard website, noted above}

The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. You should seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The Nutrition Source does not recommend or endorse any products.

The quick answer to the question “Gluten: A Benefit or Harm to the Body?” is that it can be either, but it all depends on the individual.

Gluten is a protein naturally found in some grains including wheat, barley, and rye. It acts like a binder, holding food together and adding a “stretchy” quality

Other grains that contain gluten are wheat berries, spelt, durum, emmer, semolina, farina, farro, graham, khorasan wheat, einkorn, and triticale (a blend of wheat and rye). Oats—though naturally gluten free—often contain gluten from cross-contamination when they are grown near, or  processed in the same facilities as the grains listed above.

Gluten and Health Benefits

Gluten is most often associated with wheat and wheat-containing foods that are abundant in our food supply. Negative media attention on wheat and gluten has caused some people to doubt its place in a healthful diet. There is little published research to support these claims; in fact published research suggests the opposite.

In a 2017 study of over 100,000 participants without celiac disease, researchers found no association between long-term dietary gluten consumption and heart disease risk. [1] In fact, the findings also suggested that non-celiac individuals who avoid gluten may increase their risk of heart disease, due to the potential for reduced consumption of whole grains.

What Is a “Gluten-Free Diet”?

This is essentially a diet that removes all foods containing or contaminated with gluten. However, since gluten-containing whole grains contain fibre and nutrients including B vitamins, magnesium, and iron, it’s important to make up for these missing nutrients. Along with consuming naturally gluten-free foods in their whole form like fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds, fish, eggs, and poultry. The following whole grains are also inherently gluten-free:

Quinoa, Brown, black, or red rice, Buckwheat, Amaranth, Millet, Corn, Sorghum, Teff, Gluten-free oats

It’s also key not to rely on processed gluten-free foods that may be high in (energy), sugar, saturated fat, and sodium and low in nutrients, such as gluten-free cookies, chips, and other snack foods. Often, these foods are made with processed unfortified rice, tapioca, corn, or potato flours.

The gluten-free food industry has grown 136% from 2013 to 2015 with almost $12 billion in sales in 2015. Interestingly, studies show that people who do not have celiac disease are the biggest purchasers of gluten-free products.

Consumer surveys show that the top three reasons people select gluten-free foods are for “no reason,” because they are a “healthier option,” and for “digestive health.” [12] For those who are not gluten-intolerant, there is no data to show a specific benefit in following a gluten-free diet, particularly if processed gluten-free products become the mainstay of the diet. In fact, research following patients with celiac disease who change to a gluten-free diet shows an increased risk of (other health issues)

This could be partly due to improved intestinal absorption, but speculation has also focused on the low nutritional quality of processed gluten-free foods that may contain refined sugars and saturated fats and have a higher glycemic index.”

Impact of Vitamins on Mental Health

Various mental health conditions could have adverse effects on your lifestyle. Among them is depression, a condition that is associated with a lack of some vitamins. It is the most common mental health condition.

It is advisable to seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or planned significant changes to food and beverage consumption or exercise regimes.

Best Wishes

@HenryX 

I've been reading this book called Gut (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23013953-gut?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=fvtAaBpm6P&rank=...) about how the body digests food, and it's really interesting! Not a lot of 'how to' stuff, though.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance