Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hi @HenryX , 

My son with schizophrenia drinks his weight in instant coffee, with sugar. He doesn't eat well either. Every now and then he asks me to get him fruit, but he has never been into veges.

He also won't drink water, prefers  cordial and juices. Any advice? He doesn't live with me, I do some cooking for him from time to time. 

Cheers Libra 🙂

Re: Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hello @Libra 

Thank you for your request for suggestions and advice regarding your son's eating preferences and habits.

The issue with children of any age, and even for ourselves, can be an imbalance in dietary intake of the recommended and needed food requirements. I have, over the past few months, had to review and drastically modify my own food intake because of diabetes and associated effects of depression and compromise of nerve pathways. At the present time I am returning to a more "normal" but carefully considered food regime. This has meant cutting out most refined sugars, both in granular form, taken in coffee and tea, as well as carefully selecting products with regard to included or incorporated sugar and syrup content (such as corn syrup and others). Some, so called breakfast cereal products, have as much as 50% sugar content by weight.

So far, I have, thankfully, not had to contend with the more severe effects of diabetes. However, damage to nerves in my back has led to limited sensation in my feet and lower legs. As a result, I have become acutely aware of the possibility of even incidental damage to my feet that could lead to sepsis and possible amputation, such as a friend has had to deal with recently.

Unfortunately, the stories of other people's negative health experiences often "falls on deaf ears", particularly for younger people.

It is my belief that very gradual introduction of material that is both educational and interesting may be, in some way, effective in your situation with your son. This would particularly be so, since he is not living with you, and you, therefore, not being able to guide him so closely as you may wish. So, it would be hoped that whatever guidance you may be able to contribute will continue to be of interest to him when he is not with you.

One site, where I have found the information to be both interestingly presented, and also correlates and can be confirmed on other health sites, is called WebMD. In the search field of my browser, I entered the query "diet for schizophrenia" and the WebMD site is one where information is offered.

https://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/ss/slideshow-best-nutrition-for-schizophrenia

The site can be accessed directly by clicking the link above.

Most of the slides present information in a very positive manner, which has significant reinforcement value. However, I was interested to note, in slide 10/13, the recommendation stated as follows, particularly with regard to the avoidance of dairy/whey products with reference to casein antibodies:

"Eat More: Non-dairy Yoghurt     10 / 13

The gut microbiome -- that swamp of bacteria in your intestines -- gets a lot of attention. Some research has linked bad gut bacteria to schizophrenia. Getting more prebiotics, which are found naturally in fruits and veggies, may help. More “live culture” probiotics -- which are in yoghurt, kimchi, and sauerkraut -- might help, too. Try to avoid diary/whey products that contain casein antibodies."

In slide 11/13, there is a recommendation that gluten free products may also be considered. In some ways, I think that the gluten-free issue is often overstated. However, I do believe that there are certain medical conditions where such avoidance may well be warranted.

Slide 12/13 refers to refined sugars, that seem to be a major ingredient in too many products and should, I believe, be avoided by most people, irrespective of medical issues.

I believe that, gradually introducing such material to your son, in order that he may educate himself about the issues that he faces, may be the most effective way to see an alteration in his eating behaviour and habits. Ultimately, it is he who is responsible for his own health.

What I have suggested will, I hope, be appropriate for your son. The material selected and to be recommended to him, obviously, needs to be age appropriate also.

Again, I offer the suggestion that any significant alterations in food intake, that would be considered outside the realm of day to day food selection and preferences, should be discussed with an appropriately qualified health adviser or dietitian.

I hope that the information, that I have offered above, opens possibilities for discussion between you and your son, and hopefully, a positive change in eating habits and food consumption.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hello @Madison2022 

Thank you for your query regarding different types of beverages and infusions that might be appropriately taken by people with schizophrenia. Other members may also offer their suggestions and, possibly, the reasons for the suggestions that they offer.

Initially I thought that your query, about the types of tea that may not be contra-indicated when taken by a person having schizophrenia, may have required a simple and straight forward response. However, when I entered the search request “schizophrenia and tea” in my browser, I became aware of possible reasons for your request for information and also the reasons for caution in selecting appropriate beverages.

While you may already be aware of the following sites, I have added them for the benefit of others also. I would also ask you to note the caution, copied from one of the sites, that I have added toward the end of this post.

Some of the sites may offer interesting information regarding certain beverages. Some may also be considered as a warning against inappropriate selection of beverages and infusions. I have not included one site, that offered suggestions of “home remedies”. These sites, which are freely accessible by use of any internet browser, are offered for general information only and should, in no way, be considered as recommendations for the selection of beverages and infusions. Each of the sites may be accessed directly by clicking on the links in this post.

When Green Becomes Mean: Green Tea Extract Reduces Ziprasidone’s Effect and Causes Psychosis

https://www.psychiatrist.com/pcc/schizophrenia/psychotic-disorders/green-tea-extract-ziprasidone-and...

Effect of epigallocatechin gallate supplementation in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder: an 8 week, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736959/

Caffeine and Schizophrenia {pdf}
https://ps.psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf/10.1176/ps.49.11.1415

Drinking herbal tea may make you lose touch with reality

https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/health/drinking-herbal-tea-health-psychosis-lose-touch-w...

information, in the site listed above, also linked to the one below:

Herbal Tea Linked to Man's Psychosis in Unusual Case

https://www.livescience.com/59371-st-johns-wort-herbal-tea-linked-to-psychosis.html

The impact of Caffeine on Cognition in Schizophrenia

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02832401

Can Turmeric Help People living With Schizophrenia?

https://www.everydayhealth.com/schizophrenia/could-turmeric-help-people-living-with-schizophrenia/

What Teas Can Be Used For Depression, Bipolar & Schizophrenia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9D9jmRiX8w

The above articles are for information purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the guidance of your doctor or other qualified health professional for any questions you may have regarding your health or a medical condition.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Thanks so much, @HenryX , for you time and information. It is ver helpful. 

My son is 33 and I feel he hasn't really come to terms with his illness, denial, not liking being made to take his medication. (CTO). It's hard for me to have conversations with him him, he is impatient and angry a lot, but the information you provided will give me some food for thought about ways I could introduce a few ideas to him. Maybe some supplements to start with.

He has also had an illegal drug dependency for many years. The last week hasn't been easy. I appreciate your help. xoxo 

Cheers Libra . 🙃

Hello @Libra 

I appreciate your reply to me, with regard to the information offered in my post, regarding your son's food and beverage consumption and preferences. Thank you.

Some of the ways that you have described the issues, that your son and you face, remind me of the details offered by another member, whose forum address is @Former-Member . By adding in the forum address, @Former-Member {that member} will be notified of this post. If they are active, they may also respond, with observations from their own perspective, to the details that you have provided.

As a newcomer to the forum, I found the use of the @ symbol in front of forum names to be somewhat strange. However, it is a way of alerting people to a post in which they have been mentioned and to which they may like to respond. The use of the third person pronouns "they/their" instead of s/he, also took some getting used to. At 70+ years of age, I would think that I should be getting used to the continuing variations and "nothing so constant as change itself" issues in life.😃

Coming to terms with any illnesses, changes and adjustments, that we may perceive as "not being normal", are difficult to cope with at any stage of life and, in extreme presentation, can lead to denial. I do believe that I can understand your son's position, obviously for a range of different reasons, but the feelings are universal.

Referring to you also. You are dealing with issues and having to cope with situations that you may wish were otherwise, and that may cause you significant discomfort. Sometimes, that simple fact is easy to overlook when we are caring for and about others, particularly those nearest to us. If, at any time, you would like to talk about how you are feeling, please feel free to do so. Either I, or other members, who may be able to relate to your situation and feelings, may also be able to connect with you in meaningful ways. Because of the anonymity of the forum, we can possibly be more open than we may at times, in other situations, be accustomed to allowing ourselves the 'luxury' of so doing.

You have said,

"It's hard for me to have conversations with him, he is impatient and angry a lot ...."

Consequently, it is possible that some time talking with others on the forum may allow you the opportunity to 'debrief' and even 'let off a bit of steam' from time to time. In the past, I have worried about how I might react if I allowed myself to 'let off steam'. However, I did find that I was soon able to measure my responses and reactions. Writing our thoughts down gives us the time to review, not only what we may wish to convey to others, but it also gives us the opportunity of reflecting on the written words in front of us. Those, as distinct from the sometimes, somewhat scrambled 'mess' or 'tangled cobweb' in our heads. I know that I am speaking for myself when I say that.

Your posts have, as I can readily understand, been about your son's situation and how you can help and assist him. However, it is important, I believe, that you also take care to look after yourself. I hope that we, on the forum, may be a part of both.

With My Very Best Wishes

@HenryX 

P.S. With regard to anonymity, it would be appropriate for you to delete your personal name in your previous post by the edit function. Most of us have either added our name, by mistake, or caught ourselves about to do so. Editing is done by:

1. Clicking "POST OPTIONS" at the top right corner of the post that you wish to edit. A drop-down banner will appear with "Edit Post" at the top of the list.
  2. Click on "Edit Post". Your post will then be presented in an expandable message box in which any or all of your post can be edited, with additions, changes or deletions and then re-posted. When you have completed your edit:
  3. Click "POST", as usual, at the bottom right of the message box, and your edit is complete.

Cheers, @HenryX 

A YouTuber I follow, Living With Schizophrenia, recently released a video about supplements that may help treat Schizophrenia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrN5-YloAQ&ab_channel=LivingWellwithSchizophrenia

Hope it helps!

Hello @Gwynn

Thank you for posting the information regarding supplements that may be useful in dealing with aspects of schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorder. The introduction from the video site states:

"Current medications used in treating schizophrenia don’t always eliminate all symptoms for many people. They also are typically quite bad at treating negative symptoms. There is evidence that the vitamins and supplements we talk about in this video help in reducing symptoms, including negative symptoms."

Lauren at Living Well with Schizophrenia presents her ideas, about her own experience and the issues addressed, clearly and pleasantly. I believe that some forum members would find the content of her videos, and some of the added comments that have been offered, to be informative and useful.

In the video clip to which @Gwynn referred, the content actually starts at the 3.00 minute mark. Everything before that is promotional and sponsor details. The comments following the video, offered by viewers, take some sifting for relevance and validity. But there are a few that have some interesting, cautionary and, what appears to me to be, useful content.

I also watched the other two video clips that were connected to this one. Lauren presents to me as being open, forthright and pleasant in speaking about her own experiences.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Here's a news article about food combinations to help with the absorption of vitamins.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/healthspan-ten-superfood-combinations/
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance