Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Food and Drink Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

To me personally this is a hard topic especially as I have an eating disorder. 
I don’t think I can write anything 

it’s a bit triggering 

@HenryX 

Re: Food and Drink Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hey my shaz
Or ma

Lol

@Shaz51

Hello son @MDT 👋😃

Something that is not mentioned here which I may discuss is gluten.  Gluten can induce mental illness episodes.  I used to occasionally buy bread from a bakery and every time I ate it, it would induce psychosis.

Later I watched an independent health summit and many presenters were saying it was not healthy to eat gluten . One health professional cited I think a site called Pubmed which had thousands of articles on diseases caused by gluten.  You just click on the studies and gluten can make you very sick.  Included in these studies was a correlation between mental illness and gluten consumption. Personally I would not eat it. 

Some psychiatric studies have also noticed a link between mental illness and gluten. If you want to make the switch from gluten to non gluten foods you would be happy to know that under normal conditions supermarkets are usually full of non-gluten foods.  You would be surprised at the range.

All you need to do is buy the gluten free variety. For example if you normally buy wheat pasta you just substitute with the gluten free variety.  It does not have to be expensive either as the stores may also have the own in-house brand such as Woolworths gluten free buttermilk pancakes or Woolworths gluten free bread.

@HenryX 

Now that I've more time to reply, I find that I don't have much more to add!

Melissa is far from the worst presenter, but something grates. But anyway, that's my issue.

In a more general response, I see the discussion about removing/drastically reducing the amount of sugar in one's diet. I know this to be a good thing, but find it very hard. I've at least cut out chocolate mostly, also sweets like Allens etc, but I still have a packet of life savers on the go. I only have 'diet' soft drink...I could be doing worse, but there's room for improvement 🙂

As I said earlier- I look forward to content from forumites and other sources as this thread continues

@HenryX  @Shaz51  I started modifying my diet late November, at first for weight loss reasons, but as my research progressed it became more about health. 

I was gluten free for about 6 years, probably 5 years ago but I wasn't doing it in any kind of healthy way and I ended up putting on a lot of weight.  I quit gluten as a way to rid myself of decades and decades of migraines, which it did.  The only migraines I got during that time was if I accidentally got glutened. And when I nervously re-introduced it, I was surprisingly fine. 

But sugar has been my number 1 nemesis.  I was literally raised on it.  And hubby is a serious sugar addict so there was always lots and lots of it in the house. Since quitting I have dropped weight.  I have noticed my pain levels improving (still a long way to go).  Sleeping better.  And the hunger is finally passing.  At first I was SO hungry 24/7 for weeks and weeks.  I had read it was suppose to subside after a couple of weeks but no matter what I ate or how much I ate I never felt satisfied.  That is finally getting better and I actually think the green tea is helping a lot with that.

Hugs @Bow 

yiu know what makes me angry and self critical is every start of the year there is so much focus on diets, food, exercise on social media eg Insta and Facebook abd tv commercials. 
it’s so hard for individuals to deal with eating disorders. 

Hi @HenryX  I just try and eat as healthy as possible. They say that frozen veggies are as good as fresh ones.  Unless, of course they are organic. I always have both available. Mostly frozen. Stir fry’s are always good. Everyone has different needs. Mine are, no sugar, limited carbohydrates. I need meat and other protein foods often. One coffee and tea a day and lots of water. But, like I mentioned we all have different foods that we can/cannot eat. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance