Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Mental health and menopause // 15 Aug, 7pm AEST

@Shaz51 did the kidney disease start during/after menopause??

Pessary ----@BlueBay, @NikNik, @Mazarita

Great questions @BlueBay

In terms of the increase risk of arthritis and osteoporosis, particularly post menopause, it is due to the lack of oestrogen, as you said. This is because it plays a bit role in maintaining bone density.

I think your heart palpitations question might be answered next actually - so stay tuned!

During Menopause @BlueBay

Yes, natrual remedies are quite popular and commonly recommended for menopausal symptoms, but we just have to cautious.

Even though natural remedies are 'natrual' they can still impact other medications we're on. So it's always worth either talking to your GP or a chemist about that type of stuff.

yes @NikNik 

it is hard what to do as even Pessary have an effect on your body

Hi all 🙂

I'm lurking around with interest, as I have often felt the link between hormones and mental health, though menopause should still be a while away. One of my closest people is experiencing a whole range of symptoms from menopause and has questioned the effect on her mental health too, so I'm reading along hoping to learn something helpful.

Thank you to those who are open and willing to share their experiences and have this conversation 🙂

(I'll go back to lurking now 😉 )

I thought we could delve into what happens to your brain during the phases of menopause. In particular, why it causes some of the physical symptoms like heart palpitations, mood swings and hot flushes and also the psychological effects like mood swings.

I read a great description:

'The ovaries are failing and trying to keep up estrogen production. Some days they overshoot it, other days they can't produce enough...'

We have estrogen receptors throughout the brain and body, so when estrogen levels change, we experience the repercussions all over—especially when it comes to how we think and feel.

Some of you mentioned the impact on your mental health - did you find an increase in mood swings?

It would be interersting to see how many woman of 'peri-menopause' and menopause stage are on anti-depressants or anxiety tablets.  I bet there would be heaps.  

@CheerBear This is what I just pictured after reading your post

Homer_lurker.gif

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance