Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Is it okay to ignore Christmas? // 19 Dec, 7pm AEDT

Oh @mj08 I'm so sorry. I can understand why Christmas may have a sense of dread. What you went through is not easy, and anniversaries of loss are difficult, but to have it all at once must be really tough.
Do you have some other supports around you - friends / family?

@Phoenix_Risingcouldn't agree with you more about the shutting down of services. I honestly do not know how I am going to cope without seeing my psychologist over the christmas break.

It would be really interesting to see how much busier help lines become over the xmas period 

I try really hard to build a network, but four of my friends had babies this year and my partner has endless Christmas parties to go to for work.

I have been told I "think too much about it" when I stress about food and gifts *eye roll* LOL

While I understand it's tough to go without key support services over Christmas, I don't think it's a reflection of how much a clinician cares about their client. A clinician needs balance to provide the best possible care. It might be an option to take time off in Nov for some, but I know for many it would be sacrificing time with children (who are on school holidays) and partners who work in other industries. So, I don't think it's as clear cut, unfortunately.
Maybe we need to find a group of 'anti christmas' clinicians to start a club so they stay open 😄

I don't mind Xmas too much. Best thing is I usually get a few weeks off work, so I endure the day with family so I can have a holiday. I also like the lead up to Xmas with all the parties, though some can fall a bit flat. The decorations and music from 1 December can be annoying. Bring on boxing day I say...😊😉

I'm in the same boat @Former-Member - my family, husband's family and then extended family in a two day period!

@mj08 I am terribly sorry to hear of the loss of your twins. I can't imagine how devastating that must have been for you, and how very difficult it must make this time of year. 

@Former-Member I think you will find that crisis lines such as lifeline and the SCBS are SUPER busy over the Christmas period. 

@mj08 - the Forums will be here 24/7 throughout Christmas, so you're always welcome here 🙂

@NikNikI loathe the gift giving. I think super hard on what to give people and then stew over it and then change my mind and then end up getting the first thing I thought of. It super sucks. And don't get me started on shopping centres. Shopping gets done all on line, less people, less anxiety

There's definately a sense of obligation to get involved in Christmas and pressure to do Christmas in a particular way.

I love your plans for you day @Phoenix_Rising - you have reclaimed it and made it your own.

What about others, in the past have you been able to carve out a special tradition or something special for yourself?

For me, while I don't really care about the Christmas tree as such, I really love fairy lights - so when it's decorations time, I put up the fairy lights. It might sound silly, but turning out all the lights and just leaving them on is quite relaxing for me.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance