Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Struggling to find motivation to keep going

Sometimes there is a range of injury, where healing can ocur without surgery.  Sometimes men feel they have to tough things out, but do take care of yourself. @Former-Member

It is a weird balancing act, moving forward with feelings and strength and sensitivity: the ole mind body and soul.  I am a daughter who lost her dad at 11.  It has taken my whole life to know what I missed out on ... There are reasons to find a way to make your life meaningful on your own terms.

Thanks for letting us all know you are okay @Former-Member.

Could you just tell your therapst that you have had a really difficult night and would like to see her today? Is there anything in particular that you are concerned about sharing with her? Do others have any suggestions for @Former-Member? @Appleblossom @BamBam

Hi @Former-Member

Have you been seeing your therapist for very long?

Hasnt she been able to establish rapport with you when you are well?

Thinking of you ... didnt mean to put pressure on you or guilt trip you .. just trying to encourage you to weather this storm.

I try and be clear and try and be real and hope I dont put my foot in it.  Just pulling the daughter/ daddy string??

I know how easily I can twist offhand comments when I am vulnerable, into an accusation against me. Didnt want to do that to you.

From my counselling course I know there is at least some responsibility of the counsellor to attempt some development of rapport or putting client at ease.  There are different ways .. from some self disclosure to talking about topical events .. even footie teams if that works ... just get conversation moving.

In strict psychoanalysis .. therapist shouldnt put much input in .. as it will effect client's associations  ... but that has been out of favour for a while.

What kind of therapist is she ... ask her what is her approach .. dont make it all about authority and control over you.  You are a client .. a consumer ... not necessarily a pawn.  Try and claim your sense of agency with respect of self and other ... I feel you are doing that anyway.  You might have to get another pdoc??

Good Luck

I

Hi @Former-Member

Nice to 'see' you again here in the forums 🙂

I may have missed something, but what's happening this weekend?

You mentioned this is a friend, which to me, indicates you trust them and you are safe.

Sometimes I feel that if I say something that is not good .. even in therapy .. it makes it more manifest than if it had just been in my head.

I have felt my head has been too busy for me to fit in to it, but never quite put it that way.  We do help each other.  Mental phenomena has a lot of patterns that are common to most people.  We are homosapiens after all. 

My story about my dad .. in short ... is that he was just written off as mad, and he died when I was 11.  My brother was very worried about getting the same diagnosis.  He did not as he did not behave in a schizophrenic-like manner. When I worked out what dad went through and my brother, I became convinced that MI is bio-psychosocial, but not genetic in a sense of being pre-destined.  Dad died in 1971. It is hard to have no dad, even to turn to later on in life when a girl might want a bit of balance to the story she got from her mum.

Take care and be safe .. on your terms.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance