Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Struggling to find motivation to keep going

Hi @Former-Member

I'm really sorry to read about your experiences lately - it must be scary not knowing what is real and what was a flashback.

Have you made another appointment with your psychologist?

There are some grounding techniques some forum members have shared on the forums before, which you might like to make a list of and have handy for those times when you feel like you're not present.

They include:

Using your 5 sense - saying outloud: 

5 things you can see

5 things you can touch

5 things you can smell

5 things you can hear

5 things you can taste

Doing a body scan:

Conciously thinking about each muscle in your body, starting at your toes and working your way up. Think of the body part/muscle and squeeze it (eg: wiggle your toe, point your feet, tighten your calf), then move to the next body part.

Monitor and control your breathing:

Take a breath in for 4 seconds and breathe out for 4 seconds and repeat. If you like using apps, ReachOut created a great app (just search for ReachOut Breathe in the app store), which helps you focus and control your breathing.

Are you feeling safe tonight?

Would you consider giving any of these strategies a go?

You need surgery!!! get yourself back there & tell them you need help to not run. Deep breaths. Sorry its so difficult for you. In my prayers.

Hi @Former-Member

Good job on continuing to try and do the senses strategy. You don't have to get through all senses the first time, just keep going 🙂

I hope you're okay. Needing surgery sounds serious. Perhaps heading back to the hospital on your own terms will be less daunting.

Do you have someone with you tonight?

Thanks. I am okay. I think the doctor lied. It isn't that serious. It will be fine. 

I can remember running a few times ... I space out all the time ...I am so used to distress I tend to normalise it and play it down.  I didnt realise it was that serious.

Like @Former-Member and nik  said .. we are concerned for you. 

Phoning therapist tomorrow is a good idea.  I hope the physical issue is managed well too.

Take care.

Hi Briar,

it is Artaud. I thought I would just check in with you as I have not heard from you tonight. Just wanted to see if your Ok and what you might have decided to do  about what happend when you went to A&E recently. 

Regards

Artaud

@Former-Member isn't the only one struggling, we can all get something from this

Hi Briar,

It sounds as though you had a really tough night. How are you feeling this morning? Have you decided whether you will contact your therapist today? What are your plans today? Please let us all know how you are travelling today.

Take care,

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance