Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: DBT

Hi @sarvan ,

How are you going? Just checking in to see how things are.

BPDSurvivor

@BPDSurvivor Im really touched you reached out. Thankyou. 

Doing ok- still around. Had a chat with Spectrum. Dont think I will get in there. I connected with a support group and am looking forward to seeing how that goes. Looks much more structured and professional than the DBT group I was in. 

Hey @sarvan ,

Spectrum are very specific about who they take in. They consider people who have stable accomodation, security, support network etc. Their understanding is that if you have comordities or other more pressing things to deal with (e.g. finance, housing), it is more difficult to focus on the therapy. Also priority is given to case-managed clients. 

Please continue looking for therapists. Don't give up. BPD is very curable. It is like a switch. There is a perfect moment where you are 'ready' to respond to therapy and make changes. I cannot tell you when that perfect moment is, but it just happens. After living with BPD for so long, I was never ready until the moment I was (hard to understand until you experience it). I'm grateful for it. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep us in the loop. In the meanwhile, if you have any questions, please post here. I would be happy to share my experiences with you. It took me a long time to find proper treatment too.

BPDSurvivor

Hi there @sarvan 

I wanted to add my story for you to show there is hope and a life worthy for pwBPD.

I was only diagnosed 5 years ago but it's very likely I've had BPD for most of my life. I had severe mental health problems in my teens. I'm just over 50 now.

The last 4 years have been a roller coaster ride to hell, and I'm making my way back out of the darkness. Some days are better than others. I did DBT about 3years ago through the public system, but only got halfway through as I was just too unwell. I did finish it eventually and I've done several refresher courses since then.

I pretty much use dbt skills every day, even without realising. And I teach others both here in the forums, other support groups online and in real life. Like @BPDSurvivor I've embraced my BPD diagnosis good and not so good. It doesn't define me, but it's part of who I am, and will always be because of my past history. But I'm so much more than my history. And that history has made me the kind, compassionate, caring and supportive woman of others with mental health challenges. I'm also funny, smart, courageous, incredibly resilient but I'm soft and vulnerable too.

Hope and recovery aren't easy words for me in my journey, so instead I look forward to each day as a chance to work on a better me, and have a life worth living whatever that looks like. I know I'm loved and cared about by people that I love wholeheartedly. That really matters a heck of a lot.

I've learned through dbt how to be present in the moment, to ask for what I need without apology, without guilt or dirrespect to myself. I know my limitations and boundaries, and I'm not afraid to use them to protect myself.

I'm so glad you found a support group. That's amazing. Please don't give up hope. Search for whatever you can that might help. Sometimes I've found the right course or program in unexpected places. I know it's frustrating waiting for help. I'm here in WA, and programs for people with complex mental health problems are very thin on the ground and hard to get a place.

Please tag me anytime you like for a chat, support or whatever. I'm so proud of you that you're so proactive in searching for help. That's a start right there. Hold on, because life can be beautiful in the smallest of moments. If you want to follow my story I write in a thread titled 'the challenges of mental health wellbeing'.

All the very best. You can do this. I have faith in you.

@Sans911 , thank you so much for sharing. We need more of the such like because a BPD diagnosis is like a death sentence to so many.

@sarvan , here is the post  @Sans911  was referring to:

The Challenges of Mental Health Wellbeing 

BPDSurvivor

@Sans911 your message couldnt have come at a better time. 

Is it possible to talk privately? I have been amazingly low and am finding it a real struggle atm. 

Ive spoken to Lifeline a few times, but its just not cutting it. Most of the staff are so welcoming but dont know BPD. Thats one of the first things Ive asked them. 

Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Hey @sarvan,

Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck with Lifeline. Just wondering if you had perhaps tried the SANE Helpline at all? Unfortunately they're not open weekends, but you could try them during the week and see if you have a better experience (Call 1800 18 7263 or you can book a call/chat with them here). If you do want some more immediate support over the weekend, you could also try the following:

It's so hard when BPD is so stigmatised and misunderstood, but I believe you'll be able to find someone to connect to, and it's always helpful to have options Smiley Very HappyHeart

Thanks so much @Jynx 

I kinda need this all right now

Hi again @sarvan thank you for your post and I'm glad you found it helpful.

Unfortunately the guidelines here in these forums don't allow for private discussions. But I'm just a tag away and I'll get a notification every time. I'm usually pretty quick to respond, even though I'm not on the forums much at the moment. You can ask me anything as well, and I'll do my best to answer you. I see you've been to visit my safe place, and you might have read I'm not travelling that well lately. I've had lots of professionals invalidating me lately, plus my health issues, and some other challenges. I ended up in hospital overnight about a week ago.

It's very hard for me to ask for help too, for the same reasons you struggle. I have amazing supports here and in real life that help me enormously, and understand my struggles.

I'm slowly climbing out of the pit I slid into the last few weeks. I'm still quite low as well, but I also know that I always come back up from the downs.

Everyone here is trying to help and support you in one or another. You might not always agree with everyone, but recognise they're trying to find their way with you too.

Try to be kind to yourself, because we are often our own worst enemies. I try to check myself when I'm being hard on me.

Take care sarvan 💕💕💕💕
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance