Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

Thanks for your link to this thread @Former-Member 

I shall have to come back to read it more later.

Adge

Thats okay @Adge  ... I hope you enjoy reading some of the lovely pet stories through here.  They really do help us in so many way.  Animals in general, whether they are our specific pets, or whether its observing and enjoying animals in the wild.  @Lauz  mentioned that I think in the Topic Tuesday last night.

Someone else who may enjoy reading through this thread is @Valentine .  So pleased you were able to make it to the discussion last night, albeit a little late.  But I see you posted a few comments yourself as well.  Good to see.

Been a big stormy thundery early morning here, as I think many people around the country seem to have had.  I know my vet asked me if Holly (my dog) is afraid of thunder and storms.  I had her to the vet to get her ears checked since she has become quite deaf as she ages.  There are many dogs who take fright at storms, and its quite distressing to see them so upset.  We used to have a kelpie who just took off and ran until she couldnt run any more.  We were on the farm then, she was our wonderful sheep dog, but a pet also.  Usually she'd run until she came to the creek and hid in the reeds until we came and fetched her.  If we knew a storm was coming we'd just bring her inside to sit it out.  But anyway ... no, Holly has never been afraid of storms or thunder.  Doesnt seem to blink and eye about it.  I suspect the vet was trying to give me a positive about her becoming deaf.  Ie that she wont be afraid of storms any more. Lol.

Anyway as is usual for my little girl, she was there when I awoke in the middle of the night after a nightmare.  She was right by my side, snuggling up to me with her little wet nose pressed into my arm.  She really does help to bring me back to the present and ground me when times are tough.  

Sherry 

So glad you have your little dog Holly comforting you @Former-Member. So sorry about the nightmares too.

We use to have a dog. Coco was his name. He was a dog that was frightend of storms. Poor little thing.

Sometimes I do feel sad when I think of Coco. As he was neglected some when I was not in a good place.

I often talk to and pat my sisters dogs. She has 3 of them. They are such cuties. Their names are Missy, Kenya and Poppy. I have looked after them a few times now when my sister and family go away on holidays.

I also grew up with a dog called Cheeky. She was a silky terrier. I spent a lot of time with her. I use to plop her in my bike basket. She loved travelling in it. And loved the wind on her face as I went down the hill. She was quite safe in the basket.

Hello @Former-Member , @Former-Member , @Adge , @Queenie 

I have had lots of pets throughout my life's , they have all played a part in my life 

I may have no pets at the moment but I still lobe them 

@CheerBear , @Zoe7 

You do love your past pets @Shaz51 You also love your wildlife -

Like Frogs, Butterflies, & those lovely spiky Stick insects.

It's Pet Central at my place.

There are far more Birds (& Jelly Cat) here, than there are Humans.

Just One Human (me).

About 50 Birds, from 9 different Bird species.

They are my company - they Remind me that I am Not really Alone, & that I Do really Matter.

They sing lovely songs for me in the morning, especially my Canaries.

They all jump in & have a bath, splashing water around - as soon as I clean their Water-Hoppers & Refill them.

My Birds & Cat rely on me, & appreciate me being there.

They don't try to extort money from me, or leave me feeling expendable or a Doormat to walk over - which is what the humans in my suburb (including neighbours) do.

When they are happy they have lots of baby birdies, as my Java finches did months ago.

Adge

Yes @Adge 

@ I have had Guinea pigs, birds, penny turtles, budgies, love birds, galah, fish , digs, cats 

@Former-Member , @Former-Member , @Queenie , @CheerBear 

Same as me @Shaz51. And hello. I don't have any pets at the moment either. I had a few different ones growing up. Did you? I had a rabbit and to be honest he was not a friendly one. Twitch was his name. We had chickens, Cheeky the dog I mentioned above. Cats, some goldfish. My younger sister had 2 goldfish she called "Fish and Chips" I always thought they were such cool names. I also had several birds. One was a canary the other a budgie. And when I left home, I got a tiny black kitty called Taomi. I really loved her.

I had a Rabbit as a teenager, then another Rabbit in my late 20's.

I had several Rats (Whitey, Blackey, & Caramello) in my late 20's.

I've always wanted to have another Guinea Pig (never have).

As children, we had Guinea Pigs - someone broke into the back yard, broke into their cage (whilst we were out) & killed them all.

So we never had another Guinea Pig after that....

Adge

Hello @Former-Member 

I inherited she pets along the way too xxxx

@Former-Member , @Queenie , @Adge , @greenpea 

Hi @Adge @Shaz51 @Former-Member  and other readers.

I agree with you @Former-Member  ... Fish and Chips is a really cool name for a couple of goldfish.  😂

Just tagging a new member here who may enjoy a browse on this thread, and to get to know a few people here too.  

@catladybookworm   ... this is a section of "looking after ourselves'.  Pets really do help us do that.  I have a little dog by the name of Holly.  You will see a few stories about  her here on this thread if you want to read back.  And many other members have stories about their respective pets here too.  If you are ever looking to fill in a bit of time, you may like to have a bit of a read through.  You can also post pictures if you'd like to share your pets with others.  Just be careful not to include anything which would identify you from the photo.  The forums need to remain anonymous.

Sherry 💖

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance