Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

Hello and welcome to the Sane forums @kk3 . And thanks too, for sharing a little about your little dog Kate. She sounds adorable. Animals are a true gift, arent they? As you so rightly pointed out, they give us so much and provide us with such joy.  And oh yes ..Holly and I are very much as you describe. I dont even want to think about where Id be if it were not for Holly. Also like you, I am an animal lover in general.

Sherry

hello @Appleblossom , @Peri , @Boonana , @kk3 , @Former-Member 

hugs to all the animal lovers Heart

I have had lots of pets in my life , I still miss my furbabies at times

Every night since I came home from hospital, I cannot sleep unless our doggie is on the bed with me. She has such a calming and protective vibe about her. When I was still in hospital, the dog would wait until I had FaceTime sessions with my Mrs each night. I always talked to the dog too and she’d always wag her tail when she heard me say hello. She’s definitely an important family member!

what is your furbabies names @Queenie 

what kind of dog is she xx

mine has been a corgi ,foxy , dashounds xx

She sounds amazing @Queenie! Heart

Your dog sounds like a wonderful companion @Queenie , and thanks so much for sharing.  Pets really do become extremely important family members.  Pets of all types are known to be truly great little mental health workers.  Here are just a few things which pets can do for we humans.  Lovely to hear from others here too @Shaz51 @Ali11 .  I love reading about pets and the many and varied ways they enhance our lives.

1. Pets reduce stress

Many of us feel stress. Research shows that the simple act of patting a pet can ease stress and reduce your blood pressure. Even watching fish swimming in an aquarium or garden pond reduces stress. I can vouch for that.  It can also help us to relax and is a great method of practicing mindfulness.

2. Pets provide companionship

Pets can be affectionate, accepting, loyal, honest and consistent. For anyone feeling isolated and with little support, a pet can really help to reduce your feelings of loneliness.  You have a little animal who loves you for who you are and does not judge you for what you are not.

3. Pets fulfill the human need to touch

Most people feel better when they have physical contact with others. The simple act of patting a pet can lower your heart rate significantly.  Smelling your pet can also release feel-good hormones, which benefit your feelings of happiness and wellbeing.

4. Pets require routine and organisation

Proper care of all pets requires a routine of feeding, cleaning and exercise. This provides pet owners with a purpose and motivation. This aids our self esteem, wellbeing and overall mental health.

5. Pets provide a sense of purpose

A pet can provide us with a sense of purpose.  This in turn, helps improve our mental health, such as depression and anxiety. If you have a pet, you are never alone and you remain responsible for looking after them. They need us equally as much as we need them.

6. Pets increase your social interaction

Pets create numerous opportunities for social interaction.  Going to pet-friendly events, beaches or parks helps to increase your social network. You can make new friends while taking your dog for a walk or waiting at the vet.  Casual conversations with strangers or acquaintances can easily be struck up with other pet loving owners.   People with pets are much more approachable, than those without.

7. Pets improve your fitness

If you own a dog, they need regular walks, and this regular exercise is good for you too. We all know that exercise has many benefits for our mental health and wellbeing. You can also use the time walking your dog to improve your fitness and make the most of the outdoors to help you further develop mindfulness and relaxation.

Sherry 🐶🐱🐰🐹🐟🐔🦜🐍

Great list @Former-Member and so true. They're amazing for the love they share with us Heart

Hey @Shaz51  our fur baby is called Suzie. She is a Rottweiler x Irish wolfhound x terrier. Right now she’s waiting by the front door for two family members to return. She’s very loyal.

suzie sounds adorable @Queenie Heart

@Former-Member  wrote this and it is very true

1. Pets reduce stress

Many of us feel stress. Research shows that the simple act of patting a pet can ease stress and reduce your blood pressure. Even watching fish swimming in an aquarium or garden pond reduces stress. I can vouch for that.  It can also help us to relax and is a great method of practicing mindfulness.

2. Pets provide companionship

Pets can be affectionate, accepting, loyal, honest and consistent. For anyone feeling isolated and with little support, a pet can really help to reduce your feelings of loneliness.  You have a little animal who loves you for who you are and does not judge you for what you are not.

3. Pets fulfill the human need to touch

Most people feel better when they have physical contact with others. The simple act of patting a pet can lower your heart rate significantly.  Smelling your pet can also release feel-good hormones, which benefit your feelings of happiness and wellbeing.

4. Pets require routine and organisation

Proper care of all pets requires a routine of feeding, cleaning and exercise. This provides pet owners with a purpose and motivation. This aids our self esteem, wellbeing and overall mental health.

5. Pets provide a sense of purpose

A pet can provide us with a sense of purpose.  This in turn, helps improve our mental health, such as depression and anxiety. If you have a pet, you are never alone and you remain responsible for looking after them. They need us equally as much as we need them.

6. Pets increase your social interaction

Pets create numerous opportunities for social interaction.  Going to pet-friendly events, beaches or parks helps to increase your social network. You can make new friends while taking your dog for a walk or waiting at the vet.  Casual conversations with strangers or acquaintances can easily be struck up with other pet loving owners.   People with pets are much more approachable, than those without.

7. Pets improve your fitness

If you own a dog, they need regular walks, and this regular exercise is good for you too. We all know that exercise has many benefits for our mental health and wellbeing. You can also use the time walking your dog to improve your fitness and make the most of the outdoors to help you further develop mindfulness and relaxation.

Sherry 🐶🐱🐰🐹🐟🐔🦜🐍

@Gazza75, @BryanaCamp , @outlander , @Sherry , @Appleblossom , @CheerBear , @Teej , @frog , @greenpea , @Dec  , @Kurra , @Exoplanet , @Sans911 , @Snowie , @Razzle , @BlueBay , @oceangirl , @Faith-and-Hope , @Zoe7 , @Maggie , @utopia , @Darcy , @Wanderer , @Ant7 , @Mazarita , @Hope4me , @LadyleahRDBloom , @Adge , @Hamsolo01 , @TAB , @Determined , @Nay69 , @Smc , @BlueBells @soul , @Bimby2 @Doglover @Farmchick @Pilgrim @Queenie @saturnzoon @kk3 @Mystie @Annie_7 @P12 @Dadcaringalone @Silenus @nashy @s-jay @Moderator s  @PurpleKathy

@tennisplayer69 @Mic65536 @Georgie1 @Annie_7 @eudemonism @Ali11 @Meowmy @Jacques @TheVorticon @Tortoiseshell @boot @Pineapple99 @Sunrise @Jenn4 @Infinity101 @Eden1919 @still_kickin @Macca00 @thecolourblue @Feldspar @reecey @Anna00 @Nay69 @Jhaneylena @kylspike

For me , I have had lots of pets in my life time , cats , dogs, birds, guinea pigs, fish , budgies, penny turtles , galah , etc etc

love to hear what your pet means to you xxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance