Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Doggies as therapy

Hey @Zoe7,

I heard through the grapevine you are a bit of a dog fan and have great doggie knowledge. Our therapy dog is doing an awesome job at being a companion and has helped our family to recover from a difficult time. However, he chews everything!! He is 18 months old, how can I stop this?? And do you find your dogs therapeutic?? 

49 REPLIES 49

Re: Doggies as therapy

Hey @Former-Member I am certainly no expert on dogs but have been very lucky with my own dog that he has never been a big chewer of many things. He does have A LOT of toys that I have altogether so he can choose what he wants when he wants. From very early on, whenever he began to chew anything else I would give him a chew toy as a substitute so that stopped the chewing of other objects pretty quickly. Like any behaviour - in people or dogs - it is learned behaviour so we need to slowly wean them off by providing that substitute that they can then learn to go to. There is also a spray you can get to spray on those common areas your dog chews - I believe is a bitter taste so dogs don't like it. I have never used it but maybe worth a try ...then also substitute it for a chew toy, bone, pig's ear or rawhide bone ...Toby loves the rawhide bone and will chew it for hours if I let him.

Stopping our babies chew things is not going to be a quick fix but be patient - your baby will learn what is acceptable and not. 

Our dog chews everything too @Former-Member 

Toys never last very long unless they are really expensive good quality chew toys. The vet suggested giving our dog cardboard boxes. Sometimes we tape them up and put treats in them. She then needs to pull them apart and destroy the box to get to the treats. She does eat a lot of the cardboard but it’s easily digested than other stuff that she chews… like rocks and plastic!!

We have used the bitter spray that @Zoe7 mentioned but it doesn’t really seem to bother her much. 
our dog is about hmmm 16mths maybe. 

we have lost a lot of things to her too… shoes, items of clothes, cords and so many other random items. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Zoe7, this is REALLY helpful. My dog is very large and his chew is destructive so I will try anything. I am going to go for a shop tomorrow and get some supplies that you suggested. 

Toby is such a cute name! Do you feel comfortable sending a picture of him?? I love dogs ❣️

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Bow your house sounds like mine!! I was stunned at what he would actually chew. You mentioned rocks and plastic.... these seem to be his fave things ha ha. He actually chewed our cement stairs when we got him 😮!! 

I will add some quality chew toys to my list! Thats a good idea about the boxes too, must be more stimulating and buy the rest of us some time to remove everything else 🤣

I would love to see a picture of your furbaby if you felt comfortable??

Former-Member
Not applicable

CEB25856-8916-4EEE-92F9-0E4B48934FE8.jpeg

My doggy 

awwww @Former-Member Sooo cute 🐶💖

This is Toby...

Toby.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

OH WOW!!!!! @Zoe7 He is a real cutie 😍. Does his hair take a lot of maintenance?

I am very biased but he is a cutie ...and his personality is the same. He is always a happy, smiling little fella and looooves everyone but only if I am with him. He is very spoilt and VERY attached to me. He has been my little shadow from the day I got him - I cannot tell you the amount of times I have fallen over him (literally) because he stays so close ...but I wouldn't have it any other way @Former-Member 

He doesn't shed, which is great, but I do need to cut his hair regularly. He gets a bath about every 3 or 4 weeks - depending on what we have been doing. He had to have a bath on Wednesday because he 'helped' paint some of the fence lol White hair and grey paint do not go well together - I think he thought he was a paint brush hahaha

DB8567B4-50F9-41BA-A6BA-A987EBF34279.jpeg

The dogs more my mums- she’s a pugapoo. 
The cat is mine, they are best friends. I’ve got another cat too…. A ragdoll. He is the grumpiest cat ever and there is no way he would get that close to these 2. I got my lil ginger boy as a form of therapy cause my ragdoll is so not affectionate. I wanted a snuggle cat! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance