Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Yes HenryX, very interesting topic.  My food choices are comfort foods, to help alleviate anxiety and depression.  Coffee, chocolates, cakes.....thankfully I don't ever put on weight, no matter how much comfort foods I eat.   That is one positive aspect to life.

Re: Food and Beverage Choices for Improved Physical and Psychological Health. {Please keep on Topic}.

Hello @Owen45 

and other members visiting this thread

I must admit that I have, until recently, slipped into the habit of purchasing and consuming items that have not been good for my health. Since last May, I have made a concerted effort to reduce food and beverages that I am aware are not conducive to best health. In the last 8 weeks, I have seen the success of that strategy in terms of positive health markers, such as blood pressure and, unlike your situation, which to some degree, I envy, a reduction of excess weight.

However, yesterday, a negative report on my blood sugar levels by the doctor, indicate that the adoption of my current approach commenced only just soon enough.

Thankfully, my situation is simply that of adjusting, what has progressively become over a period of many years, a pattern of in-attentional eating. I actually enjoy food that is "good for me", so I do not believe that I will have problems maintaining a good diet and thus, improving my health, both physically and psychologically.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Thanks @HenryX , for your kind words & encouragement. Yes, I went to ground for quite a while but hope to get on to the forums a little more often. 🙂

All the best & I look forward to ongoing chats.

For those with an interest in the gut-brain axis and its relationship to mental health, there's a webinar on this topic Wed 9th Feb at 7pm. The presenter, Dr Caitlin Cowan, is an NHMRC Investigator Fellow in the School of Psychology at the University of Sydney, where her research focuses on the role of the developing gut microbiome in mental health risk and resilience.

It's being offered by the Australian Association of Psychologists (AAPi) as one of their professional development events, but the Eventbrite booking site has tickets available to non-members for $30. Hopefully this link will work, but if not let me know & I can direct you to the right place: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/gut-feelings-the-microbiome-gut-brain-axis-and-mental-health-tickets...

Hello @Former-Member 

and others who may be interested in participating, or reading this discussion

{Since I cannot pre-determine how people might respond to, react or interact with comments in the thread, the following members, form a non-exclusive list invited to the thread. Each will, I hope, determine for themselves, what level of participation, if any, they wish to take, according to their position, interest and personal circumstances.}

@Dimity, @Mumi , @Clawde , @Anastasia , @Appleblossom , @Emelia8 , @greenpea , @Eve7 , @Jacques , @Mazarita , @chibam , @Lilly6 , @Molly22 , @Rosemary4 , @Faith-and-Hope , @jem80 , @Snowie , @Lise07 , @Herewegoround , @Owen45 , @Shaz51 , @StuF , @Hams , @Gwynn , @StuF , @Smiling_Gecko , @Adge , @frog , @Everan , @Itsjustme1 , @Zoe7 , @BPDSurvivor , @TAB , @Jo-anneJoy , @AussieRecharger , @wellwellwellnez , @CrazyChick , @Bill16 , @Meowmy . @Alicat , @eth , @outlander , @Peri , @Determined@Smc , @nony , @Tinker67 , @MDT , @CapnWannabe , @Jo @Exoplanet , @utopia , @Owlunar , @Jacques , @Sophia1 , @WIP . @Ant7 , @Judi9877 , @oceangirl , @TheVorticon , @chibam , @wild_rose , @still_bookish , @InfiniteStress , @EssJay , @Sans911 , @Scout , @Scoo , @Dali , @Wanderer , @Wander , @tyme , @CalmingNature , @periwinklepixie , @Olga , @ShiningStar , @SmilingGecko , @Bezak482 , @Rhye , @Sphinxly , @flybluebird@TideisTurning@Jynx , @cloudcore , @Paperdaisy , @Daisydreamer 

{Longish Post ~1000 words}

The following information, extracts and website references, which also connects, by topic, with @ChaiMaker's references in previous posts, may be useful to members seeking or interested in information about the relationship between the the brain and the gastrointestinal tract.

As a result of my own experience, I have possibly believed that my rather marvellous human body will sort out the kinks and curved balls that I have sent to it, often without a lot of consideration.

It will balance everything out, I just have to feed it and my body will take care of the rest.”

And , for the most part, my body has looked after me. However, my own awareness, after the past 70+ years, of which I have been in partial or full control for about 60 of them, is that I have not really been fair or even aware that I may have been more kind to my body and mind.

The usual analogy about servicing and maintenance on motor vehicles often has applied. While it is still running satisfactorily and an occasional check of fluids, tyre pressures, etc, seems to indicate that it everything is ok, I/we don't worry. It is often only when something goes wrong that we become concerned.

I can take a proactive position, in dealing with my body, by giving it the attention that it deserves. Even at this stage of my life and, possibly, especially so now, I need to be aware and in control of what I do for my body as much as I am aware that it does for me.

Age is not necessarily the reason for taking such action. I believe that many of the physical and psychological difficulties that I have faced, during my earlier life, have been a result of lack of attention to what I consume and how I have treated or not treated my body. The expression, “Use it or lose it” is very applicable here, specifically in terms of consistent levels of exercise, in addition to what I consume.

....... “ ….......

The Gut Brain Connection: How Gut Health Affects Mental Health

How does the gut-brain axis affect your mental health? Researchers say controlling the bacterial population of the gastrointestinal tract may help improve symptoms of mental disorders.

Article by: Susan McQuillan, MS, RDN

https://www.psycom.net/the-gut-brain-connection

Your microbiome—the diverse population of microbes (bacteria) that live in your gastrointestinal (GI) tract—plays an important role in the health of your gut, and in other aspects of your physical health, from inflammatory skin disorders to obesity.1 Researchers now say that this role of promoting good health may extend to include the health of your brain and neurological systems.

What’s the Connection?

The thousands of different types of both “good” and “bad” bacteria that populate the microbiome normally exist in a balance in favour of beneficial bacteria that help prevent overgrowth of bad bacteria that can harm your heath. Studies have shown there is potential harm associated with an imbalance in the microbiome due to inflammation, intestinal permeability or lack of bacterial diversity, any of which may be associated with an overgrowth of unhealthy bacteria. In some cases, researchers are confronted with the classic “chicken or egg” question with respect to the association between gut bacteria and poor health, in terms of which comes first. Does an overgrowth cause the disorder or does the disorder cause an overgrowth of bad bacteria?

....... “ ….......

The Brain-Gut Connection

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/the-brain-gut-connection

If you’ve ever “gone with your gut” to make a decision or felt “butterflies in your stomach” when nervous, you’re likely getting signals from an unexpected source: your second brain. Hidden in the walls of the digestive system, this “brain in your gut” is revolutionising medicine’s understanding of the links between digestion, mood, health and even the way you think.

Scientists call this little brain the enteric nervous system (ENS). And it’s not so little. The ENS is two thin layers of more than 100 million nerve cells lining your gastrointestinal tract from oesophagus to rectum.

....... “ ….......

The Gut-Brain Axis: Influence of Microbiota on Mood and Mental Health

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6469458/

Abstract. 2018 Aug; v.17(4): 28–32. : The gut-brain axis is a bidirectional communication network that links the enteric and central nervous systems. This network is not only anatomical, but it extends to include endocrine, humoral, metabolic, and immune routes of communication as well. The autonomic nervous system, hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, and nerves within the gastrointestinal tract, all link the gut and the brain, allowing the brain to influence intestinal activities, including activity of functional immune effector cells; and the gut to influence mood, cognition, and mental health.”

....... “ ….......

Fitness 4Mind4Body: The Gut-Brain Connection - Mental Health America

https://www.mhanational.org/fitness-4mind4body-gut-brain-connection

That gut-wrenching feeling in the pit of your stomach is all too real – your gut is sensitive to emotions like anger, anxiety, sadness, and joy – and your brain can react to signals from your stomach. All the more reason to eat a balanced and nutritious diet – so that your gut and your brain can be healthy.

....... “ ….......

Pay attention to your gut-brain connection – it may contribute to your anxiety and digestion problems. April 19, 2021

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/the-gut-brain-connection

The gut-brain connection is no joke; it can link anxiety to stomach problems and vice versa. Have you ever had a "gut-wrenching" experience? Do certain situations make you "feel nauseous"? Have you ever felt "butterflies" in your stomach? We use these expressions for a reason. The gastrointestinal tract is sensitive to emotion. Anger, anxiety, sadness, elation — all of these feelings (and others) can trigger symptoms in the gut.

The brain has a direct effect on the stomach and intestines. For example, the very thought of eating can release the stomach's juices before food gets there. This connection goes both ways. A troubled intestine can send signals to the brain, just as a troubled brain can send signals to the gut. Therefore, a person's stomach or intestinal distress can be the cause or the product of anxiety, stress, or depression. That's because the brain and the gastrointestinal (GI) system are intimately connected.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

This is a link to a 2008 article that I found interesting and novel at the time it was published:

Meta-Physician On Call: A Panic Attack of the Gut By Dr. Steven E. Hodes - Merlian News

I am raising awareness of a disturbing trend that women who are perimenopausal, post-menopausal experience when they present to GPs with a range of symptoms that are habitually

misdiagnosed as anxiety, depression or the ubiquitous "the Change".  No diagnostic tests are performed and by the time the colorectal cancer is diagnosed, it is advanced at Stage III or IV.

Research focus on the gut-brain axis from the lens of mental health is contributing to the delay in the early diagnosis of a malignant disease process.  Particularly for women.

Hello @Jo-anneJoy 

and other visitors to this thread

I really enjoyed reading the article by Dr. Steven E. Hodes to which you referred  in your post. He offers some practical suggestions to use when certain "gut feelings" occur, viewed from a physical perspective and the connected Brain-Gut Connection.

Perversely, we often think that we have to be fixed because we are broken, when a logical, aware and planned approach can often be used to relieve not only symptoms but also the initiating problem.

You have addressed a very significant issue, being that of colorectal cancer which affects women and men at similar rates of diagnosis. I am pleased that you are endeavouring to raise awareness about these issues, particularly with regard to cancer in its various forms, in the wider community, and whole heartedly support you in that effort. I believe, that it is by improved information, distributed and available to women and men that the most progress is likely to be made in identifying cancers earlier than might otherwise occur. That is what TV "advertisements" promoting self-awareness and self and personal checks are advocating. Possibly, advances would be made even more quickly with these approaches, than if additional funds and research capacity was generated in this area of study.

It always concerns me when one area of research is referred to as disadvantaging the advancement of another. Such statements seem to imply that one is more important than the other, the other being thus, somehow, less worthy of attention. There are other issues also, I think, that are likely to make the affect of such statements, implausible and impractical.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

..........      "      ..........

"

General Information

Bowel cancer (Colorectal cancer) in Australia statistics

The following material has been sourced from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare

Colorectal cancer incorporates ICD-10 cancer codes C18 (Malignant neoplasm of colon), C19 (Malignant neoplasm of rectosigmoid junction) C20 (Malignant neoplasm of the rectum), and C26 (Malignant neoplasm of other and ill-defined digestive organs): Incidence (C18–C20), mortality (C18–C20, C26.0).

Estimated number of new cases of colorectal cancer diagnosed in 2021 is:

15,540 = 8,247 males + 7,239 females

Estimated % of all new cancer cases diagnosed in 2021 is 10%

Estimated number of deaths from colorectal cancer in 2021

5,295 = 2,836 males + 2,459 females

Estimated % of all deaths from cancer in 2021 is 11%

Chance of surviving at least 5 years (2013–2017) is 70%

People living with colorectal cancer at the end of 2016 (diagnosed in the 5 year period 2012 to 2016) is:

New cases

Colorectal cancer was the 3rd most commonly diagnosed cancer in Australia in 2017. It is estimated that it will be the 4th most commonly diagnosed cancer in 2021.

In 2017, there were 15,206 new cases of colorectal cancer diagnosed in Australia (8,173 males and 7,033 females). In 2021, it is estimated that 15,540 new cases of colorectal cancer will be diagnosed in Australia (8,247 males and 7,293 females). In 2021, it is estimated that a person has a 1 in 19 (or 5.3%) risk of being diagnosed with colorectal cancer by the age of 85 (1 in 17 or 5.7% for males and 1 in 20 or 4.9% for females).

Estimated % of all deaths from cancer in 2021

11%

Chance of surviving at least 5 years (2013–2017)

70%

People living with colorectal cancer at the end of 2016 (diagnosed in the 5 year period 2012 to 2016)

Figure 1. Estimated cancer incidence in Australia, 2021

Notes

{End}

@HenryX 

Colorectal cancer Outcomes in people with Severe Mental Illness Cohort (COSMIC): a protocol for an A...

Abstract

Introduction Colorectal cancer (CRC) mortality is significantly higher in those with severe mental illness (SMI) compared with the general population, despite similar incidence rates, suggesting that barriers to optimal screening and cancer care may contribute to disparities in CRC mortality in those with SMI. This study aims to compare participation in Australia’s National Bowel Cancer Screening Programme (NBCSP) in those with SMI and those in the general population. We will also investigate treatment pathways after diagnosis to determine whether treatment variations could explain differences in CRC mortality..

So far I have spent 6 years raising awareness of this issue elsewhere at the grass-roots level, where it matters the most : an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure.

Hello @Jo-anneJoy 

Thank you for the details that you have offered. As I was reading your comment, I was interested to note that recent posts have, indeed, referred to the Brain-Gut connection. Again, the "chicken and egg" issue of which is the initiator and which the responding body function, either the gut or the brain.

Obviously, there is also the question as to whether people with SMI receive the medical attention that is required to address these health issues in sufficient time for treatment to be effective. Another question arises as to whether lifestyle and quality of food consumed by people affect their health outcomes and to what degree.

In such research, analysis and collation of already recorded information, there is a huge range of variables to be considered.

However, you have already been increasing awareness of these issues for 6 years, and the purpose and reason for the existence of this thread is toward similar or co-incident goals. I do hope that you will find in this thread, an opportunity for the expansion of the work that you have been active in for so long.

I am flagging at the moment, so I will come back to your referenced website tomorrow. thank you for raising the issues, offering the reference and our discussion.

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

Hi @HenryX. Banana Peel Cake recipe, as requested. 🙂
Here, even more than in other settings, I'd advise people to double check whether any of their meds have a "do not eat banana peels" warning on them. I was very surprised when a relative's medication had such a warning years ago, but yep, it's a thing. Banana peels are high in tyramine, and that can interfere with some antidepressant meds, for example.
https://lovefoodhatewaste.co.nz/recipes/banana-peel-cake/

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance