Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

NEW THERAPY FOR PTSD

DRUMMING PROGRAM HELPS WAR VETS.
Drumming program helping Vietnam veterans affected by PTSD
BY JAMES HANCOCK / abc news online
MON AUG 15 13:18:14 EST 2016

A groundbreaking study in suburban Melbourne is using simple drum beats to help Vietnam veterans heal the emotional scars of combat.

Key points:
Program improving mental health of participants, researchers say
Study is the first of its type
Researchers will use results to lobby for funding for drumming programs

This week marks the 50th anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan on August 18, 1966 — the day chosen to commemorate Vietnam Veterans Day.

More than 500 Australians were killed and more than 3,000 wounded in the ultimately unsuccessful battle to stop communist forces from capturing South Vietnam.

Many veterans turned to alcohol to cope with the psychological damage caused by one of Australia's longest-running wars.

More than five decades on, the first study of its type in Australia is using group drumming to assist veterans to live with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

'Statistically significant' mental health improvement
PhD candidate James Richmond started a drumming group at the Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital in Melbourne's north-east late last year.

He said he had observed a "statistically significant improvement" in the participants' psychological wellbeing.

"What we're hoping to do is demonstrate that this is a really powerful program that can work as an adjunct to good solid psychological therapy," he said.
Mr Richmond said part of the success of the program was down to the strong bonds formed between participants.

Veteran Tim Woods served in Vietnam in 1969 when he was 23 years old.

Veterans participate in group drumming session for PTSD
PHOTO Researchers say the study's participants have formed strong bonds.

ABC NEWS
Now aged 70, he said that — like other veterans — he had tried to suppress his PTSD symptoms for decades.

"I knew I was angry about a lot of things, not the least of which is my local RSL didn't want me as a member," he said.

"At one stage I was involved with a bunch of guys who formed the Nollamara Hells Angels in Perth."

He said he looked forward to the group drumming sessions as a way to relax.

'I feel so much happier'
Another participant, Peter Versluys, 68, celebrated his 20th birthday in Vietnam.

He said PTSD had a debilitating impact on his professional life as he always seemed to have "the cart before the horse".

Early in his career, he had to work harder than others to complete tasks. Later, he struggled with long hours.

"I don't know how to put it into words. I just know that when I'm playing the drums in a group like this, I feel so much happier," Mr Versluys said.

Veterans use group drumming to combat PTSD
PHOTO Veterans groups say early intervention is important in treating PTSD.
ABC NEWS: JAMES HANCOCK
Bob Elworthy, the Victorian president of the Vietnam Veterans Association, said the veterans' experience with PTSD showed the importance of early intervention.

"Soldiers will come home with trauma-related mental health issues," he said.

"The quicker they're dealt with ... the better the chance is to rehabilitate the individual and to give him or her the skills to deal with that mental health issue."
Two other drumming groups have since been formed and include emergency service workers.

The study's final results will be used to lobby for ongoing funding for drumming programs.

SHAREEmail Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
RELATED
Vietnam War veteran writes book about battle with post-traumatic stress disorder
MORE STORIES
Alleged fraudster allowed to work with kids despite sword attack
Live: Hockeyroos out, Aussies track athletes impressing
Turnbull and Joyce to meet with dairy giant amid milk price crisis
Black lung cases known before disease officially re-emerged
Changes to domestic violence laws to extend DVOs
Bolt eyes 200m world record in race to immortality
Vegemite can be brewed into beer: scientists
Pauline Hanson puts anti-Islam group at arm's-length
Second night of violence in Milwaukee after police shooting
Sydney siege inquest probes whether Commissioner's email 'interfered' with operation
Australia could play pivotal role in a US-China war: ex-Obama intelligence chief
Sydney naturopath to face trial over alleged raw food diet advice
Abetz to oppose GST changes if Tasmania disadvantaged
Grieving families turn to crowdfunding to cover funerals
MORE FROM ABC NEWS
HomeOlympics HomeJust InAustraliaWorldAnalysis & OpinionBusinessSportFact CheckLive StreamsVideoPhotosUploadEntertainmentSubscribeRuralMore >
Top of page
Change to standard view
ABC NewsJust InAustraliaWorldBusinessEntertainmentSportThe DrumWeatherBlogsTopicsArchiveCorrections & Clarifications
Terms of UsePrivacy PolicyContact Us© 2016 ABC

3 REPLIES 3

Re: NEW THERAPY FOR PTSD

Fantastic post @Former-Member

I started djembe about 8 years ago as the African drumming movement swept across Melbourne (and possibly other cities).

It has been a powerful healing experience for me .. Smiley Happy

I thought I would never play piano again but the simple left right co-ordination paired with complex rhythms helped settle and soothe my emotional and physical traumas whilst giving me much greater facility and a more relaxed way to talk about rhythm with my students than the relatively uptight classical style.Woman Happy

A recent book launch I went to was opened by Robyn Archer and the choir from DUST the musical.

The situation of Black Lung is sadly alive and well.  I had thought it was a 19th century phenomena ... but Big Mining has been shuffling the facts.

During my younger years I played a side drum with a number of bands and have a nice practice pad that I pull out whenever I feel angry or frustrated, which is most of the time, and bang away. Its fantastic therapy.  When I lived in the country I had a kit and would blast out jazz and swing banging those sticks like there was no end.

It gives me a terrific release and this program sounds like a great idea to help people divert overwhelming feelings.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Apologies to the people who complained to moderators about this post being too long with unnecessary footnotes etc. I try to take care with cut & pasting & so embarrassed when I get it wrong. As a mobile user editing options are limited. So, I had a look and rather than taking it down, please just stop reading when the relevant article has obviously finished, and don't trouble moderators because I'm sure they have more important things to do. Thanks
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance