Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Mental health and menopause // 15 Aug, 7pm AEST

@NikNik@Shaz51@Mazarita

I am going to head off, getting tired.  Thanks @NikNik for the opportunity to discuss this great topic. It was really interesting.  I will read up the rest tomorrow.

Thanks @Shaz51 @Mazarita for your input.

BB xxxooo

Goodnight, @BlueBay. Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. Smiley Happy

it's interesting what you say about the difference between menopausal mood swings and those associated with mental illness. I agree it is really hard to identify what's what really. @NikNik, @Mazarita

Mr shaz says I need to take one of his meds

good night @BlueBay HeartHeart

Similar to mood swings, depression is another one of those 'is it MI or Menopause' conundrums.

To add to the muddle, all the physical symptoms of menopause can cause the depression, rather than or as well as the hormone changes. eg:

- insomnia

- night sweats

- fatigue 

So it could be life stage or current life stressful events, hormone changes and/or the impact ofphyscial menopausal symptoms. All of these need to be considered in treatment. As @Mazarita said, not all health professionals are senstive to the impacts of menopause, so it can be tricky.

However, from what I read, the treatment is similar regardless of which element is causing it. Sometimes it's just easier to understand the contributing factors to help tackle it!

- insomnia

- night sweats

- fatigue 

I have them too @NikNik 

argh @Shaz51 That's not fun!

Do you or @Mazarita (or any other lurkers) have any tips on managing these symptoms... any tricks of the trade?

@NikNik, perhaps one of the main things I suggest is learning as much as possible about perimenopause and menopause before it happens. Having some idea of what's going on is always better for me than casting around wondering what is happening. That is a scary place.

Aside from that, one thing that is helping me with menopause is that I have adopted an almost defiantly positive attitude to it, viewing it as a natural part of the process of being a woman and laughing at it as much as possible. For example, I do find hot flushes kind of funny, just that the body is doing that odd thing. The cardigan on, cardigan off routine. I might be a bit mad, but there is a humourous side to it for me. Even hair on the chin is kind of funny if looked at in that light. Of course, it's harder to find the humour if we are in a deep depression. But, wherever possible, I really am trying to get through this stage of life with as good a humour as possible. It happens to all women, after all. At least we can know that we are not alone with it.

Your post reminded me of a meme I saw today:

very very true my scottish sister @Mazarita

being postive even if it drives your partner crazy @NikNik, by kicking all the blankets off the bed and then trying to find the blankets in the dark , I have taken showers in the middle of the night

@CheerBear, @BlueBay,, laugh at it

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance