Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Living with Schizophrenia // 16 May 7 - 9 AEST

Scary experience - losing touch with what is real and what isn't. Seeing things that are not there, hearing things (like voices and whispers) that are not there and even smelling stuff that isn't really there. When you're "well" then it's like your confidence in your own perceptions is hit and you're not sure if what  you see/hear/smell is real or not. This is why recovery takes so long I think.

@NikNik That's a really cool question. I don't have schizophrenia, I am hanging around here tonight to learn more about it. I am really interested in hearing about people's experiences. Smiley Happy

Thanks @Zam
That's a good point actually - sometimes you might describe it to a certain level of detail to one person, but more depth with another.

@Former-Member - Thank you 🙂 That means so much to hear you say that. It definitely changes over time. I have good days and very bad days, but it's so important to try and hang on to that hope and inner spark that everyone has. 🙂

@NikNik - Thank you! 🙂 That was definitely intentional. We wanted to show me as a person and not just a person with Schizophrenia.

I am a 23 year old uni student from Queensland. I'm passionate about mental health and I do quite a bit of volunteer work through headspace. I've recently discovered a new love for writing. 🙂 My favourite game is cards against humanity 😛

@shaz - Thank you so much! That makes me so happy to hear that 🙂

@NikNik

it just depends on how much information on it that person asking wants to know. i have no problem going into full detail about it anymore but i will only give a brief answer normally unless i know that someone wants to know more

Welcome @Phoenix_Rising 🙂

When I am in the middle of an episode, it is like being in a waking dream. Where things in my world don't make a lot of sense (seeing and hearing things others don't) and communication with people in my world is distorted and difficult. Like @Former-Member has said, even when I am well, my perception of myself is skewed, in that I am constantly second guessing my experiences and how I am experiencing the world. I might reality check and ask someone (usually my partner) if they can see/hear things which I deem unusual. At this moment in time, I am reality checking quite often. I hope the need for that passes soon.

@NikNik That's a really cool question. I don't have schizophrenia, I am hanging around here tonight to learn more about it.-- me too @Phoenix_Rising

but my Husband was put on medication for schizophrenia , but diagnosed with lots of other things @Hannah93

Does the relationship you have with that person asking also impact your response @Zam ?

Thanks for that insight @Queenie
Your description gives me a glimpse into what it must be like.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance