Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Defining your role as a Carer // Tues 21st May, 7pm AEST

Okay wonderful humans, time is slipping by 🙂 @Shaz51  @Faith-and-Hope  @Appleblossom @Tictac  @Tim_YPA  @outlander 

Many young carers are unidentified. This can be for numerous reasons whether it is because young carers don't identify with the label "young carer" or family members, teachers, and other service providers aren't familiar with the signs of being a young carer.

What are some key signs that you may actually be a young carer?

If you are not a young carer - what is your view on this issue?

DP-3.gif

As we've discussed, I think sometimes we can compare our situation with others, such as those who are caring for someone with a physical disability. It may make it hard for us to identify as carers because we may not have to help the person we know with physical day-to-day physical tasks. For me, much of my caring role is about emotional support encouragement. But it also includes

• Reminding my mum about medical appointments and supporting her to access different services.
  • Helping her manage her finances and set savings goals.
  • Checking in on a regular basis with her to ensure she’s ok, and check if there are any issues that need other services or support. When I first left home, I would call my mum nearly 3 times a day to check-in!
  • Supporting her to advocate for what she needs, if this is from Centrelink, or accessing a specific service.

Sometimes it's also simple, such as reminding her to take her medication or talking about challenging situations and helping her plan for things which might be stressful.  

I feel like I’m a carer because I’m the ‘first responder’ - first to hear about it when something has gone wrong, first to pick up on when something is wrong if it isn’t being said. I also know I’m a carer because when my boyfriend isn’t in the capacity to recognise, cope or act on a bad situation, I make the call for him

As well as being a carer on the good days - like @Tim_YPA said, just as simple as reminding him to take his medication and being a supporter is appointments

@Tictac I really like the use of the term 'first responder it really does encapsulate a big part of being a carer, especially in the mental health space, where sometimes it's somtimes the small changes that only you are aware of that signal there is an issue. 

Brilliant @Tictac  thank you so much for sharing - of course! The notion of being a first responder. We need to take care with that too, our own adrenalin may spike and drop a lot, so self-care is imperative 🙂

@Tim_YPA  Thank you for outlining some functional tasks people can look out for as young carers or carers in general. This is super helpful Heart

@nashy yes unfortunately im not very well respected despite my efforts but i cant stop doing what i do ( thats a story for another day) i guess to others looking in even though they can see its not a normal way of living its 'my normal' so its not really taken notice of if that makes sense

None of us can “be it all” and it’s really important for young carer’s to have a life outside of their care role, as you have spelled out @Tim_YPA , because carer’s burnout can affect them too, or perhaps even more so.  They are managing beyond the “job description” for their age.

I think it is vital for teachers to understand that and may allowances, and provide support facilities through schools and universities, and I expect there is financial support as a young carer through Centrelink as well.

Thank you @Tim_YPA
I have always struggled to know who i am due to my upbringing. I started caring when i was 10 but to me that was just helping no so much caring. Yes exactly. I am relyed upon to be the carer not only for my granddad but also for everyone else as well which is hard to live up to sometimes.
Have you managed to find 'you' in amongst your titles?

Lots of 👍 and hearing you in your posts @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51 @Tictac @Appleblossom
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance