Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday, 10 March, 12pm AEDT

Hi. I just wanted to tag @janedoe2 as I noticed today she had a discussion about gaps in her resume. It seems like this may be helpful.

Re: Career Chat // How to stand out to a potential employer // Friday, 10 March, 12pm AEDT

So it's time to finish up for today ... thank you @NikNik and @Former-Member for joining in ...

To summarise what today's forum has been all about...

We have been talking about how to stand out to a prospective employer when you're trying to gain employment.

Remember ...

it begins with the first time you see the job advertisement, make sure you fulfil the key selection criteria, ensure you get a name, obviously make sure it's with in the application date, give them a phone call drop your name get the receptionist's name. Research the company! This is crucial.

When you attach your resume make sure it's immaculate. I really can't overstate that .. in it tell a story about your career. The story should show how each place that you worked at led to the next, find a way to tell that story.

Then illustrate how this job will give you an opportunity to use your technical or transferable skills in the cover letter.

Fill in the gaps with plausible reasons why you had to take time off. There are many reasons; working volunteer only, situational change or taking care of a sick family member also, personal reasons or injury are other reasons.

If you do disclose, remember that it's possibly helpful to have a staying well at work plan to offer your prospective employer.

Consider using a DES or JSA they will coach, mentor and hopefully help you into paid employment if you really want it. You do have to learn how to look for work yourself however and the tips today have been created to help you do just that. And importantly, not just go for jobs but get them as well!

I really hope today has been useful and that the information provided has given you at least one or two pointers and tips.

Enjoy your weekend and hope to have you on the forum next time! Smiley Happy

Thanks @Former-Member I hope it helps .. happy to discuss it further too 

Hi @Former-Member it's a pleasure I hope it helps out 🙂

Is it appropriate to mention health issues being the reason to gaps in resume. Apologies if this has been discussed as i haven't read it yet.

Hi @janedoe2. I think @OstaraAust has logged off for now. Sorry I was a bit late in tagging you. You can read through this and ask questions. It may be helpful to tag OstaraAust by putting an @ in front. There will be another career chat soon or they may be able to get back and answer questions. I'm really not sure of that though. @NikNik might help me out with this one. 💜🤗

Hello @OstaraAust I got to your session too late. I did ask this though. Is it appropriate to mention health issues being the reason to gaps in resume. Apologies if this has been discussed as i haven't read it yet. Hope you can answer some time. Thanks.

Hi @janedoe2 and thanks @Former-Member for helping out ..

I've just quickly logged back in and noticed your question.

Smiley Happy welcome!

The answer to  your question is not complicated, but it depends on your circumstances.

Firstly, remember it's up to you -first and foremost what you say.

And there's no obligation to say that you're suffering from ANYTHING let alone mental illness. 

The consensus is ... if it doesn't impact your ability to work in the job you're currently doing or going for, then it does not have to be mentioned.

So the resume can say 'health issues' as reason for leaving the last job and they may ask if you're feeling all right now or if it might recur and interfere with the job, to which you would answer accordingly.

This is perfectly fine.

But, and it's a big but - if you do disclose and they are a supportive and understanding workplace then you can give them a Staying Well at Work plan (discussed today in the forum) and there is potential for your potential employer to not only help you out but also be able to support you during difficult moments.

A colleague of mine created one for her worker (in another job) and it worked very very well. She was the one who suggested the Stay well at work plan to me as an option.

So ... see what I mean there are options...

Remember always that disclosure is not mandatory, you can say health issues and explain that you are now well and if you do disclose be wary of the company and have a plan if at all possible.

I hope that helps.

Hi @OstaraAust,

I only just now read your complete post. I have a rare skills set applicable for a very very small industry and I am good at what I do, so I stood out. I did not have to look for a job since my MI issues took over, my employer has been supportive.

I wrote my input more from what I have learnt since I am employing people and with sometimes hundreds of applications to scan, I've learnt to see application letters as a clear indication whether someone is actually interested in a job. With new technology, pressing the send button to submit your CV is just too easy. Perhaps I should put in the ad, that only paper applications will be considered 😉

I am actually sad to see how little engagement your live chat got from the forum.

I am glad you mention coaching for unemployed, but I do have a question there too. I tried to get assistance for job retaining and was rejected (no capacities) by several services. I am also wondering if those services are actually equipped for the previous high achievers. The saying is the higher you get up the ladder the deeper you can fall. Unfortunately that can happen when MI strikes and I have not only experienced this myself for retaining my job but also have friends who were completely overwhelmed in creating a new "identity" if they were unable to return to the same high level, high pressure position they previously held. MI is a game changer, for everyone.

I researched private providers and found that good coaching options start at the 5k mark which is a significant chunk of money.

Hello @NikNik. I clicked like for notification for next Career Chat. Not sure if it will work. If not could I please get email notice that it is on. Many thanks.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance