Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

sunnydays
Casual Contributor

So upset and angry right now!

So I originally went to my psychiatrist for an ADHD diagnoses and walked out with BPD instead. I agree that yes I may have that but a lot of the symptoms are similar to ADHD as well. Every single symptom of ADHD I have. Im not a stupid person and I know that I have this. I live with it every friggin day. There is something wrong with my brain. It doesnt work properly and its really embarrassing in social situations! I also have a baby and Im sick and tired of not being able to get my shit together. Constantly forgetting things and being disorganised. I feel so helpless!!! What do I do? See a new psychiatrist? Will they see Ive already been somewhere else? I dont want to look like Im after drugs. I desperately want help! I also want to study next year and I really dont feel confident about how I will go when I have a 3 second attention span. I feel so helpless.
2 REPLIES 2
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: So upset and angry right now!

Hi Sunnydays,

I'm totally hearing how frustrated you are. I can relate to a small extent, when I was told i had PTSD i just wanted to hide and felt really ashamed that i wasnt 'good' enough to get through things without turning into a mess... so while i didnt get angry or frustrated as such I had a huge reaction to the 'label' and felt terrible. What i have come to realise (over the last 2 years) is that the labels arent as important as just working on strategies, skills and ideas to over come the actual problems/symptoms that I find the most challenging. So regardless of hte words that are written down about anyone i think everyone experiences things in their own unique way. Perhaps if you can talk with your psychiatrist about the things that bother you the most and that you reawlly just wont to work on making those things better in your life and ignore their overall idea... You can also tell them that you disagree, you can definitely go see another psychiatrist/psychologist (i must admit I have found my psychologist to be far more helpful than the psychiatrist.. my personal experience though).

Studying wiht a short attention span is difficult! When i am really low, I find it so hard, i lose things constantly and just find EVERYTHING to be hard. When i was studying I'd set my timer for 10 minutes.. and made myself read or write for that 10 minutes, then i'd get up and do something else (or nothing) for another 10 minutes.. then go again. It was hard at those bad times but i did finish my masters... eventually.

I hope some of this has made sense, 

all the best,

lj

Re: So upset and angry right now!

@sunnydays We expect so much of ourselves and society these days is so complex and fast.  The "name of the label" isnt so important really .. the experts argue all the time .. careers made and broken about what goes into the DSM.  I read about it when doing a thesis on grief.

I studied while kids were babies and growing etc.. its good to set goals and be kind to yourself about them.

You have identified you need help .. EVERYONE does .. whether its a mum or lover or paid secretary or a pill or a doctor.. just keep trying to get help .. and by definition if its help it should be helping you .. if its not helping ... go somewhere else.

Good advice @Former-Member ... 10 mins stretches, even just 10 min per day can achieve a lot of things ... you go girl.

I got so frustrated going to kinder and overwhelmed by all the noise and other mother's clamouring for attention I had to write things down to remember . so My thing was lists.

Welcome and good luck

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance