Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: My special place

Sorry to hear, @Snowie  😞

I think linking in with carers' organisations is a great idea, and I hope the doctor can tell you some names at the appt today. 

I hear how alarmed and worried you are about the big gap coming up in your support 😞 Am sending wishes for you that you can get through it. 💙

Sleep wasn't ideal last night. Couldn't get to sleep and then when I did couldn't stay asleep.

Will try and have a nap today.

Meant to take mum to doctors but she cancelled her appt. She wants to see a more experienced doctor which she will have to wait a few weeks for. I actually agree with her with this one.

Meant to go do some food shopping but will see how I go.

if you can @Snowie see about speaking to a geriatrician. i have pop seeing one and she and the nursing staff at the clinic have been really good at helping not only him but also myself as well with other support referrals and being validating as well.

Thanks for the info @outlander 

When we see the doctor I will make sure I ask about it.

also speak to my aged care. they can help you get services in place like social supports (like accessing the community, taking her shopping, taking her out for walks just social type stuff), assistance to help her with medications, meals to either cook or can help with something like meals on wheels, gardening as well. you dont need the dr to refer you to that either. you can just go online and make a self referral for your mum and they will either come and see in person or do a phone appt to do an assessment

https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/make-a-referral

it can take a while so sometimes the earlier the better

@Snowie 

Thanks @outlander 

I will look into it and see what is available for her. She is ok at the moment but I do know these things can take a long time to organise so I guess the earlier the better.

usually they start with low level stuff until they need more @Snowie to start with pop was only able to have 2 hours a week for social support and physio (that my aged care would cover and not me paying as a private client) now if i didnt live with him i couldve got him his lawns done for a low cost (like $20 a fortnight), assistance with cleaning and cooking, when he had a fall and needed help with showers i was able to get him that as well.
your mum might only qualify for 2 hours support but maybe thats what she needs. sometimes they just come in have a cuppa and a chat and do some minor cleaning (dishes, bring in the washing etc) might be less stress for you too

I'm glad you have got help with your pop @outlander

At this stage mum can still do everything for herself. She even still drives so not sure what I will be able to get for her, but I will try anyway.

She is acting like her life is over. I have tried to tell her that isn't the case but she isn't listening to me. But that is nothing new.

I have told her to make an appt. with an experienced doctor but has yet to do that yet. It will be a wait as we haven't got enough Doctors where I live, but I guess everywhere is like that.

hopefully the wait to see an experienced gp isnt to long @Snowie

Today has gone downhill quite quickly. Keep dissociating.

Reached out for help and just got told the same old thing.

When will chat be back?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance