Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sirgalahad
New Contributor

I am a high functioning autistic

I am a high functioning autistic and was diagnosed at the brain and mind institute camperdown R P A hosp.
My supervisor told me she knows autistics and I am not .This has triggered me into partial meltdown and why do i have to prove via personally have to show my official diagnosis and quiet private details.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: I am a high functioning autistic

Hi @Sirgalahad

Welcome to the Forums. I hope you don't mind, but I have moved your post and made it a new discussion so you can get more responses.

It can always throw us when we feel like we know what track we're on and what diagnosis we have, but then it come into question. Unfortunately, many people get multiple diagnosis - sometimes they agree with them, sometimes not.

What is important is your quality of life. If you are living the life you want and not being hindered, this is a great sign. For some, when they are unable to function and feel like their current treatment isnt working for them, they will seek out another opinion.

Just to clarify, how do you work with your supervisor? Is this in an academic setting (ie: people who are doing their Masters or PhD have 'supervisors) or is this a supervisor at your work?

Hi @Sirgalahad welcome to the Forums and thanks for sharing. I also wonder what expertise does your supervisor have in Autism diagnosis compared to a place like the Brain and Mind Institute RPA Hospital? It sounds like you feel as though you have to 'prove yourself' to your supervisor, as their comment has really upset you. I wonder does their opinion of you matter a great deal to you? For some people receiving a diagnosis can be a huge relief. For others, it can feel very uncomfortable and not sit right. How did it feel for you when you received the diagnosis?

Echoing what @NikNik said, the most important thing is that you're living a life that is rich and meaningful to you. Receiving a diagnosis is really just a 'label' to qualify a set of symptoms to help establish the most appropriate type of support and treatment. It need not necessarily define our identity, nor should we really allow others to interpret us in terms of whether we fit into a particular 'box' or not. Otherwise it can potentially minimise the other wonderful aspects of our personhood, or leave us feeling like that this diagnosis is all that we are.

Fellow members @Aspergeraa has an asperges diagnosis. Also @Appleblossom's son has an apserges diagnosis, and has suspected she may also qualify for this diagnosis herself as well. I wonder if either of them have encountered conflicting opinions or judgements from others in this way before? Thanks again for posting @Sirgalahad and look forward to hearing more from you soon.

I havent actually applied for a diagnosis though I have friend who has.  I receive ASPIRE emails and one day may get it sorted out .. its not an immediate priority.  My son prefers not to use the label so I dont with him.

Is it a thesis supervisor who didnt believe your diagnosis?  Is the field or topic relevant to Aspergers?  Were you needing an extension .. there are disability support units on most campuses and they may take your needs more seriously .. and then supervisor has to take notice.

Good Luck

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance