Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Queenie
Community Elder

Feeling miserable - could it just be the meds?

Hi forumites,

Been feeling increasingly miserable lately. A lot of things are playing on my mind (the ceremony, family or lack thereof, constant health problems) and they're all seemingly getting me feeling really down. I've been having warped nightmares too... things that don't even make sense... and I am not getting a good night's sleep at all lately. 

Added to this, I ran out of antidepressants a few days ago. It hasn't helped at all and I guess that is my fault. I lost my prescription and had to get in to see the GP again. It took a while to get in. 

Oh well, that's me. Crying at the drop of a hat.

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Feeling miserable - could it just be the meds?

I think you have a lot going on at the moment @Queenie - the ceremony is huge! most people struggle with that be it wedding/ceremony. Add in constant health problems that are taxing your energy reserves, and missing medication is probably just the icing on the cake. I'm sorry that you're feeling so crud though, sending hugs through the web!

Is there anything you could do to help get a decent night sleep? sleep is my arch nemesis too, 😞 

Hi @Former-Member. Crud is the word to describe how I am feeling perfectly, thank you for putting a word to it. My GP handles all my meds now and she is reluctant to prescribe sleeping meds as ordinarily I can fall asleep ok, it's just the restlessness and general freaked out by nightmares which is preventing me from getting a good night's sleep. I guess how I am feeling is normal (with the ceremony and general health concerns at present, anxiety and stuff). Running out of meds is definitely not going to help matters I don't think (especially my antidepressant). 

Maybe I should just hope that tomorrow (now I have the meds back in my system) is a better day?

I hope so, though it may take a few days for the anti depressants to stabilise again maybe? 

crud is my in word at the moment, as its described how i feel a lot too 🙂 

fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow @Queenie 

Hi @Former-Member and @Queenie,

You probably know some of these tricks for a good nights sleep, but just in case here are a few suggestions 😉

- avoid electrical devices before/during bed (including phones, tv, computer etc - and if these devices are near your bed switch them off fully before going to bed)

- try a regular sleep routine (eg going to bed, and waking up, the same time every day)

- try to get morning sun (maybe leaving blinds open at night so the sun hit you in the morning, or at least open household blind in the morning)

- try to avoid bright lights before going to bed, and try to sleep in a dark room

- try not to be in an overly warm bed (our body temperature naturally drops when we sleep, so an overly warm room may make it more difficult for your body to maintain a lower sleeping temperature)

- try to have blanket/s and pillow/s neatly and comfortably arranged (less chancce of worrying about positioning of your blankets when falling a/sleep)

- avoid coffee, tea, juice, soft drinks, or alcohol at night

- quiet time before going to bed (eg reading, breathing exercises, mindfulness, stretches)

- avoid using your bed for non-sleep activities (eg using bed as a desk, as your body may begin to associate bed with studying)

- rather than tossing and turning when you cant sleep, try getting out of bed and do something non-vigourous for 10-15mins, then try sleeping again

- avoid afternoon naps

Hi @Former-Member and @Queenie,

You probably know some of these tricks for a good nights sleep, but just in case here are a few suggestions 😉

- avoid electrical devices before/during bed (including phones, tv, computer etc - and if these devices are near your bed switch them off fully before going to bed)

- try a regular sleep routine (eg going to bed, and waking up, the same time every day)

- try to get morning sun (maybe leaving blinds open at night so the sun hit you in the morning, or at least open household blind in the morning)

- try to avoid bright lights before going to bed, and try to sleep in a dark room

- try not to be in an overly warm bed (our body temperature naturally drops when we sleep, so an overly warm room may make it more difficult for your body to maintain a lower sleeping temperature)

- try to have blanket/s and pillow/s neatly and comfortably arranged (less chancce of worrying about positioning of your blankets when falling a/sleep)

- avoid coffee, tea, juice, soft drinks, or alcohol at night

- quiet time before going to bed (eg reading, breathing exercises, mindfulness, stretches)

- avoid using your bed for non-sleep activities (eg using bed as a desk, as your body may begin to associate bed with studying)

- rather than tossing and turning when you cant sleep, try getting out of bed and do something non-vigourous for 10-15mins, then try sleeping again

- avoid afternoon naps

Hi @Queenie,

Sorry to hear that you have been feeling increasingly miserable lately. As @Former-Member mentioned you have alot going on right now and ceremonies do bring things up.

I'm glad to hear that you have your medication again now. How are you feeling today? I hope it has been a better day for you Smiley Happy

Thanks for replying @NotLabelDefined and @Rockpool.

I do try to adopt good sleep hygiene but for some reason my brain has been taking me terrifying places while I sleep, so I am almost afraid to sleep (if that makes sense at all?). I do sleep however, but wake up not very refreshed because of the nightmares. 

I am sort of ok-ish today. I rated myself amber on the my partner and mine's traffic light warning system, so I am at medium level distress. I am careful to not allow it into the red zone at all costs. So far so good at that. 

The ceremony is only 9 days away now.

hugs @Queenie really feeling for you HeartHeartHeart

I wish that would work for me @NotLabelDefined

Ive tried it all, and continue to do so, though lately ive given up even trying before 11 to turn everything off because it makes no difference. 

How was your day today @Queenie?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance