Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Musical stuff

I know them all so well. Melodies that were played by a blind 'flute ' player in the church grounds. I've forgotten where exactly. Somewhere in the Netherlands. Descant of course. Enjoy them @Appleblossom Each one is utterly magical! The recorder music of that period was without any vibrato so try to concentrate on keeping an extremely steady air stream.

Thanks @Kurra

Will do .. just started back on descant after learning to read in F .. I just have a performance edition of 8 pieces.  There is a little indication of articulation in it and I have seen some fabulous renditions on utube.

Not doing lessons at moment.

I am half dutch and bought the book about 12 months ago .. but I seem ready for them now ... last year I looked at the variations like a pianist ... but time this year to look online .. utube vids showed how expressive each variation actually is ... so I figure memory is the best way .. and a useful distraction from getting into a low mood .. as they are really beautiful.

I'm back to slow songs...
tried playing some faster heavier stuff couldn't get into it

I'm in a downer so its all about the words now

@Appleblossom
Memory can be useful but it can also become very limiting. Listen to a few different musicians but then allow the music (and how it affects you) actually speak to you. Once you reach this point you can apply your own interpretation.

Music is just dots and lines that have no meaning until you as the co-composer (through your interpretation ) bring it to life.

That's no good @GonePirate
How about finding something where the words give you what you need but a bit faster than slow with a good strong bass line. Like a solid beat that gets right inside you.
I'm not saying fast just not really slow.
Salted encrusted hugzzz. Just watch out for the barnacles.

just listening to buckethead now

watching the boats with dad
for mom
I love my parents
electric tears
padmasana
asylum of glass

there are no words

Padmasana? @GonePirate

Music is great to fill the spaces when words arent there.

@Kurra Yeah I just call them black dots to kids and am very clear they are just a tool and not actually music.

its just cos of neck etc .. am flat on my back a bit .. but I can play recorder lying in bed .. the piano is not so easy!  I only started a few days ago with the van Eyck. ... for about 2 decades my brain has been too busy with parenting to do any music memorising .. so I stopped it ... but now it seems to be working again .. and a healing way for me to be productive while in bed. Yes .. I understand about co-composition and thats exactly what I want if I can relax and play it by heart, then I can enter it it.

Sorry @GonePirate overcrowding squeezed out the remarkable lotus pose ... I could never justify doing it properly cos of my body issues.

See if you can feel the sound waves in your fingers. If you hold the instrument too tightly it won't work. Once you have that tactile connection with the sound you will find a liberation that defies description. I've never managed to achieve this with the piano. With piano it seems as if you have to feel the sound with your body. It's a less direct connection in my opinion.
Making music transports me in to another time and space. A place where I can escape the depths of depression for a while. Where sometimes I can resolve my worries without ever really understanding what those worries were about.
More rehearsal tomorrow but at least it's only 4 hours.

yeah padmasana haha the lotus pose

really good song
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance