Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Everything Birds

And white ones @Adge 😊

Wow, you taught them how to talk @Former-Member That takes quite some doing (effort).

White Budgies, nice.

I haven't seen those in years.

I've had White Canaries- They're not very common, either.

Adge

Former-Member
Not applicable

Some of my budgies would sing with me, in a whistle. 😀 and bop up and down in a dance. It was so cute. They'd say things like, good morning, who's a good boy then. Haha. @Adge 

Hmm, I'm thinking of getting one now. 🤔

Former-Member
Not applicable

d954482a4938c0d6c68d00638a367f57 (1).gif

Hi @Adge  - canaries singing 🤗🎶 lovely 🤗 & hi all, have a happy day 💙💙💙 

Former-Member
Not applicable

5996.jpg

JOE THE PIGEON

AUSTRALIA'S Department of Agriulture has confirmed that Joe, a pigeon that was thought to have travelled to Australia from the US, is actually a fraud, a revelation that has saved his life.

The public rallied to the defence of Joe after Australian agricultural authorities said he would be euthanised to prevent the risk of diseases from the US being transmitted to Australian native birds.

The racing pigeon was believed to have survived a 15,000km Pacific Ocean crossing from the US to Australia after Melbourne local Kevin Celli-Bird discovered the exhausted bird in his backyard on Boxing Day. Some speculated the bird may have hitched a ride aboard a cargo ship, rather than flying the entire distance.

It was originally believed that the pigeon’s blue tag was evidence that he had disappeared from a race in the US state of Oregon on 29 October, but that assertion was thrown into doubt.

The American Racing Pigeon Union posted a statement on Facebook saying the tag on the bird was not a genuine American Union band.

Joe the Pigeon found in Australia does not wear a genuine AU [American Union] band. The true band is in the US worn by a Blue Bar, not the pigeon featured in news photos about Joe,” it said.

A Blue Bar looks like an everyday grey pigeon one might see on the street, as opposed to the white and brown variety Joe appears to be.

“The pigeon found in Australia sports a counterfeit band and need not be destroyed per biosecurity measures, because his actual home is in Australia. It is a disappointment that false information spreads so quickly, but we are appreciative that the real pigeon did not stray from the US,” according to the union’s statement.

Australia’s Agriculture Department, which is responsible for biosecurity, agreed that the pigeon dubbed Joe, after Joe Biden, was wearing a “fraudulent copy” leg band.

“Following an investigation, the department has concluded that Joe the Pigeon is highly likely to be Australian and does not present a biosecurity risk,” it said in a statement.

The department said it will take no further action.

The president of the Central Cumberland Racing Pigeon Federation in Sydney, Phil Murphy, also cast doubt on Joe’s story and said the bird did not even resemble a racing pigeon.

“It’s not a racing pigeon. It looks like a fancy pigeon and someone has got a hold of a ring and put it on it,” he said.

Racing pigeons are also at least eight months old, but Murphy said Joe looks younger.

“From the picture, it doesn’t look that old. It looks three or four months old … It’s certainly not old enough to be able to fly 10 hours, let along 12,000km.”

Racing pigeon rings are generally bought in bulk from a central supplier by racing clubs and then sold to breeders. But Murphy said it isn’t that hard to find old pigeon rings from the US or other countries online and get them shipped to Australia.

“I’ve heard of it happening two or three times in 40 odd years,” he said.

Pigeon Rescue Melbourne also chimed in on Facebook.

“We believe he is not an American pigeon at all – rather an Australian pigeon wearing a knock-off American ring that anyone could buy off eBay,” the group posted.

“We’ve had lots of birds come through with these rings!”

This news comes after multiple politicians had waded into the pigeon debate, with the acting prime minister, Michael McCormack, holding a “take no prisoners” stance on Joe and indicating there was little room for compassion on biosecurity laws.

“I’m not aware of Joe’s plight or flight or future. I’m happy to look into it and get back to you. Good luck Joe,” he said with a thumbs up.

“But if Joe has come in a way that has not met our strict biosecurity measures, then bad luck Joe. Either fly home or face the consequences.”

Victorian Animal Justice party MP Andy Meddick had wanted the federal government to put the bird in quarantine rather than kiill it.

“Should the federal government allow Joe to live, I am happy to seek assurances that he is not a flight risk,” he said.

My message to the federal government is this: take Joe off death row.”

The Victorian health minister, Martin Foley, was also in the “save Joe” camp.

“I would urge the commonwealth quarantine officials to show a little bit of compassion to Joe,” he said.

The minister was then asked whether the state government was showing the same compassion to Victorians stranded in New South Wales because of border closures.

“I’m pretty sure we’re not planning to euthanise the people from Victoria who are in NSW, so I will take great exception to that,” Foley said.

The spokesman from the Department of Agriculture said “they were exploring options to assess and manage the biosecurity risks” following “widespread offers of support”.

This may include the re-export of the pigeon to the US, which would require the agreement of the relevant US authorities,” he said.
@Adge  @Shaz51  @Eve7  @Former-Member  @Historylover  & all you bird lovers' 🤗
Former-Member
Not applicable

images (59).jpeg

Hi @Adge looking 4U @ how are @ you  going? Coping with the heat? Are you anywhere near that cyclone?  You've been quiet ( me. I unless concensjust avoiding myserable me) .  Hope you're ok. I'll see if you're on the GM thread. Hugzz 💙

My Barbary Dove have More Babies in Nest!

That's 6 Baby Barbary Doves, in just a few months.

Oh My....

I now have 10 Barbary Doves....

Adult Barbary Doves.

Ringneck Dove Facts, Pet Care, Behavior, Diet, Price ...

ohhh wow @Adge Heart

love the pictures 

Former-Member
Not applicable

20200122giphy (1).gif

Hi @Adge  @Shaz51  @Eve7  @Former-Member  @Historylover  and all. Any bird encounters lately?

On my sunset walk there were Currajong calling from the power pole above me across the block to each other. Love to know what they're saying to each other. So melodic, and almost a lullaby affect. I like it. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance