Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Kick_it
Casual Contributor

misdiagnosed

Hi Everyone 

I wanted to ask a question and am seeking advice on a misdiagnosis. Last November I was diagnosed with being schizzoaffective by a psychiatrist that I had less than half an hour contact with. I was put on really strong medication and told I would be put on a treatment order if I didnt take it willingly. The diagnosis didn't sound and feel right and the medication was a big drowzy detached nightmare. In February I started seeing Pyschologist  and told her that I was pretty sure I'd been misdiagnosed and medication was not going well. I had an appointment with the resident psychiatrist and was rediagnosed with PTSD and severe anxitey and depression. Slowly between my Psyche and my GP we weened me off the medication and started treating me for PSTD and anxiety and depression. Things have been going much better since. I"M wandering how and if I can correct my hospital diagnosis because I'm terrified that if I attempt to access any Mental Health Services I will be put on a treatment order for being Scizzoeffective and lose months and months of my life again. 

I'm also moving from SA to QLD and wandering if health records follow or if I will have to start all over agian in QLD?

Do QLD offer services on a mental healthcare plan?

Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: misdiagnosed

Getting a good diagnosis and good mental health care is not always straightforward, but worth persisting with.

When you find a new doctor you can always arrange for your records to be sent. I dont think it is automatic.

Take Care

Re: misdiagnosed

Does that apply to moving Interstae as well- I assume it does. Thank you @Appleblossum
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance