Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

The skeletons in my closet

My gf (soon to be non-legal wife) has asked that there be no secrets between us, no matter how painful they are. She wanted me to bring up my biggest darkest secrets and tell her. Some of this stuff I've had well hidden because of the trauma that exists connected to it. I've never even told a psychiatrist or psychologist, nobody. I told her my biggest secret, now, tonight, I am living with the trauma revisited. It has left me feeling very low indeed.

The skeletons have been let out of my closet.

Q 😞

15 REPLIES 15

Re: The skeletons in my closet

You OK @Queenie?

I think I'll be alright thanks @Kurra. I just need time to reprocess the feelings associated with the trauma that has been revisited. After that, I've got to stuff those skeletons back in their closet.

Former-Member
Not applicable

wow, well done, you were incredibly brave and trusting 🙂 Can you let your partner know if there's anything you need from her to be able to manage with the process of dealing with having talked about it? 

here with you,

lj

Hi @Former-Member she wanted to talk about it more, which I found triggering so I came on the laptop instead and simply stated "some things should not be talked about".

@Queenie. Wow. That was a big step. Do you think you need to debrief with your therapist or psychiatrist? Or do you think you will be okay dealing with this on your own?
Thinking of you. ♥♥
Former-Member
Not applicable

That is fair enough too @Queenie. You need to set limits and do the self care that you need to. I'm glad that you were able to move away from the conversation when you needed to. 

And glad that you were able to come here!

lj

I could always debrief with my psychiatrist I guess @utopia. I do have an appointment scheduled with him tomorrow. In the meantime I just have to process this as best as I can. In some ways I'm glad someone who cares about me knows about those particular skeletons, it is a relief, but at the same time it's rehashed old wounds if that at all makes sense?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Glad you have your appointment tomorrow if you do need it. I get very rattled if things come up for me or discussing things in my appointments. It always takes a while to settle.
lj

That makes a lot of sense @Queenie. Yes I imagine it would be wonderful having a partner that wants to know you - all of you.
When is your non wedding ceremony?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance