Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

utopia
Senior Contributor

Re: The promise

@Atalanta. That's a great area of study. I often feel - mental health workers would do a much better job if they have some experience of mental illness. The same with science and research into mental health. Re: promises. I remember the first time my sister attempted suicide. I'm in the ED & the mental health worker came and asked her a few questions - eg: work, friends, religion. Then he asked my sister to promise not to attempt suicide herself by 'that method' again. Seriously. My sister looked at me, smirked &; then promised. Her next attempt - where she did actually die, but was resuscitated. But she kept her promise. She didn't use the same method. I really hate that question.

That seems like a great balance @Atalanta
I did a few subjects online to try to get back into study. However, I really missed the face to face elements, especially tutorials. I found talking through concepts and new information at tuts as the main way to develop my understand. So online didn't really do it for me.

Hmmm cafe and gyms... I bet you get student prices on these things too!?

Actually, it's expensive. There's no competition. I buy the odd coffee and that is it.

Hi @Atalanta,

I agree that the whole promise thing is unhelpful. In years gone by, I've signed many "no suicide contracts." My understanding is that there is now a lot of research showing they don't work and I think they've gone out of vogue. However, a lot of mental health professionals will still ask for a verbal promise. I always say I promise simply because there is a strong chance they will call emergency services if I don't. But really, a promise to a counsellor will not stop me suiciding if I choose that I want to do that. I mean seriously, what are they going to do if I suicide, sue me??? In all honesty, I think it is as much about them covering themselves legally, as it is about genuinely thinking it will make a difference to the decision a person might make.

@NikNik I did my entire degree by distance. Avoiding having to talk to other human beings was a definite perk for me!!! @Atalanta is right about the cost of cafes/gym etc on campus. They are now really expensive compared to years gone by. In a lot of unis these things have been outsourced and they are just as expensive as anywhere else.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance