Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Suicide or euthanasia?

Hi @Atalanta, I read your post on my phone the other day, and have only now had a chance to respond (I hate typing on my phone). I want to say that I find it amusing the way society in general seems more open to the idea of euthanasia than suicide. Do they not realise that both of these terms are simply words for "end one's own life."

I firmly believe in rational suicide. I believe that a person has the right to choose to end their own life. Having said that, I also know that this is a HUGE decision - one of the few decisions in life that is irreversible. Therefore, I think it is very important that the decision is made when one is very clear headed. I struggle a lot with intense waves of suicidal ideation. During those waves I put all my energy into staying alive because I know it is just a wave and it will pass. Suicide is a permanent solution. Thus I don't want to choose a permanent solution for a wave of overwhelming emotion which is a temporary problem.

However, as I mentioned on my other post, I currently have one thing that I need to complete before I would ever suicide. If I haven't found another reason to live by then, I may very well choose to suicide, and I'm completely ok with that. You mentioned somewhere that you recognise others would be hurt if you suicide. I guess that's where I am in a better space. I genuinely have no friends or family. That isn't "the depression talking", it's an objective fact. The only people I have in my real world are my psychologist and my GP. I know they would be upset, but not like family and friends would be.

Anyway, that all got a bit long-winded. I really just wanted to say that I really have no idea why society differentiates between suicide and euthanasia.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you can balance things better in your life so you can do the things you want.
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Phoenix_Rising, 💗 🌷🌸🌹🌼🌺💐

@Atalanta wrote:
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you can balance things better in your life so you can do the things you want.

I hope the same thing for you @Atalanta. I can hear how dark things seem to be in your world right now and I gather from your posts that suicide is an option you are considering at the moment. Will things get better for you if you choose to keep on keeping on? I have no idea. But I do know that suicide is a permanent solution so if there is any chance that your current situation is temporary, then it would make sense to me to keep on keeping on for a while at least. If you've had a chance to read my neurofeedback thread, you will notice that I am feeling pretty positive that this might be something that will help me with my muddle. Two weeks ago part of my hopelessness was that another place I had called re. neurofeedback wanted to charge an obscene amount that was way beyond me. Good thing I didn't yield to the urge to suicide at that point, hey! For today at least, I choose to keep on keeping on. My hope is that you will do likewise...but I still fully respect a person's choice to do as they want with their own life, including ending it.

Thanks, reading through your neurofeedback thread now.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance