Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Atalanta
Senior Contributor

Suicide or euthanasia?

Why is it that when someone with a mental health issue wants to die, it's suicide but if they have a physical issue and they want to die, it's euthanasia?
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Suicide or euthanasia?

Hi there @Atalanta

I think the difference is that Euthanasia is the process of someone intervening with ending the persons life, such as a doctor, which is why there are different laws in different countires who will actually allow a doctor to take part in this process. Whereas Suicide is the decision or act to intentionally end their own life.

I understand what you mean though in regards to physical issues and mental health, I think unfortunately people have more understanding of a physical pain as they can see it rather than the mind which you cannot see someone thoughts, that can make it really hard and unhelpful for people who are struggling with their mental health and getting that much needed support.

Lunar 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

You're very 'morbid' this morning, but I get your point. IIhave nursed people who suffer prolonged agonising terminal illness and the strain it places on loved ones, and the records are very clear (legally & scientifically) that death is a certainty. It is visible suffering. Uthenasia is not legal here yet, even thougb a diagnosis of 'terminal illness' is near the top in assessing suicide risk. I guess its easier to say sufferers of MI have extreme variables in thought patterns that rob us of the 'credibility' to make such a permanent decision. How does the onlooker know if we are having an episode of recoverable maj depression? Not even we know that.

It will be interesting to see what others say. xox

Former-Member
Not applicable

Screenshot_2017-03-15-09-33-23.png

Sorry, having some editing problems using mobile phone. I hope you are not suicidal yourself. Its a hard journey. Please Don't unsubscribe just yet, others will have some interesting g things to say I'm sure. I suffer SI, less these days than for many years so, there is hope xox

???

I will be unsubscribing. Sorry for any offence I caused. I see my post is not up. Thanks for chatting with me.

Hopefully it will make it this time.<br><br>Please don't anyone freak out and get me in trouble. I just want to say something...get it off my chest.<br><br> <br><br>I'm not in crisis, I don't intend to end myself at this time, but I do want to do it eventually. I'm really tired and I am happy to go...it's a logical, clear thought out decision, not some emotional reaction to some event...I'm just done. I'm not scared of dying but oddly, I am scared of dying alone. I would like to be able to call someone and talk to them or just have them be with me while I fade out. Apparently, I can't do that cause they can trace my location by the very phone I will be using. It's so wrong that people who are making euthanasia decisions, not suicidal decisions have to die alone.<br><br> <br><br>Anyway, like I said...I am not in crisis or danger.
Former-Member
Not applicable

So what you're saying is you'd like PHONE contact company while you dift off. Sounds romantic but it isn't is it. We don't just nod off do we? And the other person?? That's a lot to put on anyone. You say you're ok for now, but you're not are you? These thoughts are there for a reason, maybe too much stress, or pain, or lack of direction, pleasure, peace or love. I find the garden my magical place to find breaks from darkness. Try get to the bottom of it with a counsellor maybe, explore all options first. Be gentle on yourself, in body and mind, as you would a close friend xox

I have to go have my pill s and breakfast I guess, slack start here lol. What are your plans for the day? Check inlater r

I'm trying to do it with the least harmful path possible to everyone but in the end, I know people will be harmed. I feel bad about that but it cant be helped...hopefully having lived a selfless life will somehow balance it out.

As for drifting off...I won't say exactly how because I don't want others following my path. I know what to do to make it painless and permanent and drifting off is part of the process.

I'm not going to write anything beyond this on the topic. I've probably harmed people in saying the little that I have. Really, truly sorry about this. I just needed to know about the phone tech thing. Frustration made me say more. Thanks for hearing me out.

Ok...stop here. Off to do daily chores...shopping, cooking.

Glad you felt heard, it's important to share those thoughts about suicide with others.

Good luck with your chores today @Atalanta talk soon 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance