Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script

Thanks. I'm 57 and have been living with bipolar dx since 16. This has turned my world upside down.  I know very little but will do research.  Any help will be gratefully received 

Hi @Sirine 

Click on this thread Let`s talk about Bipolar 

This thread is borderline personality disorder 

Hi I'm estranged from my 3 daughters and 8 grandchildren.  It really hurts as I have done so much for all of them.  So I sympathise. I cry every day.  Not one of them has acknowledged that I have mental health issues.  They just abuse me.  So big hugs 🫂 

@moderator , @hanami , @tyme 

Ohh hugs @Sirine , sitting with you xx 

Hi @Sirine ,

being diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder can seem a bit scary. There is a lot of old and wrong information circulating that makes it more so. 

It really is not scary. It can be a relief to know why some things have been more difficult for you, ie, relationships, managing emotions etc. 

And there are plenty of things we can do to make life better and build a life worth living. The best things to do at first is to find a good psychologist and a good psychiatrist. Then look into Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT). I am doing this now. I was diagnosed 30 years ago and only just found DBT. I am finding it a really good therapy that helps me enormously.

Psychiatrists can oversee your mental health and decide if you need medication to help with some things. I take an antidepressant, anti anxiety medication and a medication that helps my bad dreams so I can sleep. Everyone's need for medication and what medication will be prescribed will be different. We are all individuals. 

Psychologists help with our need to have someone to talk to that can help us discover for ourselves how we can best help ourselves. 

So, while there is no magic wand, there is plenty of hope, plenty of support, and you will find you are worth the work that you need to do. 

Feel free to ask questions, let us know how you are doing and a bit about yourself. 

I am 57, live in rural NSW, and enjoy gardening, birdwatching, and anything creative.

Regards

Ferylgirl

Thank you hun. I think it's scary because of the work I need to do after all the work I've done on bipolar.  You give me hope. I'm 57 too and am in Brisbane northern suburbs.  I used to have lots of friends but now I have 2.  I'm hoping to find friends/support here. I look forward to chatting with you more. Bubbles Linda 

Hi @Sirine 

Just a little tip put a @ In front of members names so they will receive your message 

@Ferylgirl , message above for you my friend xx 

Hey @Sirine ,

Welcome to our BPD thread 🙂 Great to have you with us!

I, too, was misdiagnosed to have bipolar when it was in fact BPD from the very beginning. The cycles of ups and downs was too frequent for it to be bipolar. e.g. one moment (literally one moment) I was up, and the next moment I was down. I also new it wasn’t bipolar because my behaviours and emotions were very much dependent on what was happening in my environment. For,example, if someone looked at me in a strange way, I’d spiral downhill and SH; if someone smiled at me, then I was be super happy - this is just one of the million examples I have.

So yeah, after 10 years of being on bipolar medication, yet another ED presentation meant it was clear that I should stop taking the bipolar meds immediately - so I did.

Fast forward a few years, my BPD was so severe and had taken over every aspect of my life. So much so, it said it’s either now I get support or I’d die. I search high and low for supports. Eventually I was admitted into Spectrum’s outpatient unit for intensive mentalisation based therapy - 2 sessions a week of therapy for min 18 months (group and individual sessions).

The sessions were tough and triggering at times, but through it, my BPD brain slowly began to shift. By the end of about 2 years, I realised I was no longer having regular raging moments and outbursts. I could regulate my emotions so much better. I learn social skills I never knew before. Now most people pick up these skills naturally, but for a borderline, I had to be taught - step by step.

Looking back, I am so grateful for my BPD because I have learnt so much from it. It has been an incredible yet ongoing journey of discovery.

I hope you will soon find this hope and discovery too @Sirine - it’s been the most amazing thing in my life!

Long story short @Sirine , BPD is 100% treatable. It is a lot of work, but absolutely do-able. The MBT treatment has improved many aspects of my life. So much so that I now feel I excel many in my ability to relate to people, manage conflict, work with people, mediate, stay focused, etc. 

The change is surreal when I consider it.

@BPDSurvivor

thank you. I'm still processing it all and what it means for me.  I'm seeing the psychiatrist Monday for a med review have been referred to a dbt service which doesn't start till next year but I also have a psychologist who is trauma savvy. I have ptsd depression and anxiety as well so I think it will be a long journey.  I'm looking forward to finding out more about bpd and maybe then I can piece my life together at last.  40 years is a long time to be misdiagnosed.  It's overwhelming 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance