Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

It's been a decade. Let me tell you a story. May trigger.

Hello gentle Sane forum folk,

Let me tell you a story. All of it is true. It takes place a decade ago in a large country town where I used to live. I had just been struck down with my first ever bout of psychosis and was convalescing following a very suicide attempt which saw me hospitalised for quite a length of time.

As part of my social and vocational 'rehabilitation', my case manager introduced me to the local Clubhouse. Here I made a few friends, but not the kind I would normally hang out with at home. That was until there was talk of J. Everyone spoke fondly of her and said she was talented and smart, a brilliant poet and artist. I was taken by everyone's testimonies of her, yet after a while, I soon forgot about her. That is, until the day she walked into the Clubhouse. I was awestruck, she was vivacious, unconventional and intensely funny. I felt drawn to her, not in a sexual way or anything... I just was like a moth to a flame. 

After a few casual meetings, I decided to invite J to a get-together at my place. Of course she came and from then on, we became firm friends. We enjoyed shopping trips, lunches, laughs and more than a few deep and meaningful conversations. She soon became my best friend. However much we came from different worlds, we formed a united front... J and I against the world!

She taught me how to use the internet properly and introduced me to worlds I never knew existed. Before I was caught up in the world of pop music and the closest to 'alternative' I ever got was a brief soujorn into the grunge lifestyle of the 1990s. Now I was not only into alternative music, I was listening to all genres and my eyes were well and truly opened. She had internet affairs both same sex and heterosexual and together we rode the highs and lows of online relationships. She even received a marriage proposal, but the relationship ended abruptly when following her rejection of the proposal, the lad in question committed suicide violently.

This knowledge was too much for J. She spiralled out of control, taking ilicit drugs and drinking copious amounts of alcohol. She asked desperately for intervention from friends, doctors and mental health professionals, but everyone ignored her but me. Everyone said she was just acting out 'borderline personality disorder behaviours' (such was her diagnosis). Her depression deepened as did mine to see my friend suffering so. We decided neither of us had anything to live for and on December 31 that year, we would end suffering together if nothing had changed by then.

We were desperate to get help. Psychiatrists were at a loss with me and labelled me 'alcoholic' as well as schizoaffective. J was just labelled BPD and although she begged for a hospital admission, the powers that be deemed her too fragile for hospital and denied her a bed. As 31 December loomed, I decided to take a last trip to Melbourne to visit a dear friend who was like a mother to me (my own mother dying in 1990 when I was an adolescent). During this trip I tried several times to contact J to no avail. I did not think anything of it, as she was often hard to get in touch with.

Upon my return to the country town, I asked at the clubhouse after J and were met with ashen faces. Called into the director's office, I was told of J's suicide. I was devastated. I had lost my best friend and confidant. Against my wishes, I was immediately hospital and sat in the psych ward, wondering why they couldn't have done the same for J?! I was angry at the world from then on.

Fast forward a few years and I met up with the mutual friend who found J on that sad day. He mentioned she left a note and in it J had written that I 'had too much potential' to waste on suicide. I wondered what she meant. Surely I couldn't go on to anything great in my life?

Ten years have now passed since J's death and I am still saddened that she died so needlessly. If only psychiatric intervention had happened when she was at her darkest point, maybe just maybe she'd still be alive? 

I went on that year to change my life. I left my then violent husband, left the country town that was home, left everything behind. I enrolled in study and became a qualified mental health worker. My story is not yet over, it is a semicolon at this stage because I still have battles with my illness even today. But at least I have an angel on my side called J, my best friend forever.

Thank you for reading.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: It's been a decade. Let me tell you a story. May trigger.

😢 @Queenie 💜💐

💓

Thank you for sharing this @Queenie 

Its so sad, but i'm so glad that you are here. And that your journey is continuing!

There is a lot of hope in your story. 

lj

Thank you for sharing your story @Queenie. I would desperately like to think that attitudes towards those with BPD have changed since J passed away. Alas, they have not changed nearly enough. I can hear that you must be one of the rare MH workers who "get" us people with BPD - that we AREN'T just attention-seeking, manipulative and overly-dramatic. The emotions are enormous, the roller-coaster is unabating and the pleas for help are very real. J was right - you have a huge amount to offer.

@Queenie. What a beautiful frienship you had with J. She does sound like someone people would want to befriend.
Such a waste that the Mental Health System let her down when she needed them the most. There is no reasonable response as to why they didn't. But how lucky you were to have found each other.
Yes you are here for a reason - you have so much to give. And how wonderful that you have such a special guardian Angel who will be watching you on your special day in June.
Thank you for sharing.♥♥

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. What triggered me to write J's story was a Facebook memory popped up. Today would have been her 31st birthday. She died so young, 21 years old. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about her and the good times we shared. 

Today I am feeling rather flat and the weather isn't helping matters (it is cold and rainy). If it weren't for J, I'd still be married to an abusive person and still internalising my pain. In ten years I've come a long long way I guess.

@Phoenix_Rising my amazing gf also has BPD and while I don't always understand what drives the intense emotional responses (she doesn't always divulge what is on her mind), I show her a lot of compassion. I don't think BPD people are manipulative, attention seeking or over-dramatic at all, for them at the time, what they are feeling is extremely overwhelming and intense. They are often damaged people with a lot of trauma in their lives and need nurturing, not shaming. 

I super wish the broader community of MH workers could catch up with your way of thinking about those of us with BPD, @Queenie. I know there are more out there who "get" it compared to when I was diagnosed twenty years ago, but there are still oh-so-many who don't. During my hellish year of therapist shopping last year, the reason I sacked one therapist was because during our third session he told me; "you know...I don't think you can have BPD because I liked you when I met you, and people with BPD aren't likeable." Yeah...there was really no coming back from that one! The more he tried to dig himself out of that hole, the worse it got. On the bright side, after making that comment he got to see how big my big feelings can get and I think by the time I walked out, he had decided I probably did have BPD after all. Smiley LOL

I am always so grateful when I find a MH worker who does get the whole BPD thing. The mental health sector definitely needs more people like @NikNik, @CherryBomb and @Lunar . {Wanders off to research human cloning in order to create more NikNiks, CherryBombs and Lunars...}. Smiley Happy

I find the opposite is true @Phoenix_Rising, people with BPD are very likeable in my opinion. It is a shame though that they have a firm dislike for themselves however. I don't blame you for walking out on that therapist, I think I would have too. 

I think we need to clone NikNik, Lunar and Cherrybomb and all other MH professionals who 'get' not only BPD, but how mental ill health affects each individual, carer, family and community as a whole.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance