Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Anne2021
Casual Contributor

Career change

I am stressed at work and thinking of a career change. I spent years studying and obtained high level qualifications in my field of study, but I don't enjoy the work and I find it quite stressful. I'm nervous about retraining as this would be a huge investment of time and money, and I can't guarantee I would enjoy, say, working as an aged carer. But I need to do something to change my life as I get so stressed at work and I'm lonely at home. Any advice appreciated. I had a mental illness recently and became homeless, so stress is not something I can handle well right now. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Career change

I can definitely relate to this, my career path has been a zig zag across all sorts of industries, although one step looked like a massive move backward, the combination of experience that gave me got me into the next job and some great opportunities moving forward.

Is possible that staying in the same industry and changing employers would be an improvement?  Sounds like you might just be ready for a change though, it's tough when we're expected to pick a career path in highschool.
Are there similar jobs where you could leverage your current experience?  I know at my work people often move around within the organization and the experience they have in other areas is usually a big benefit, even if they don't have the most experience in the new area.

Thanks for your response. I work for a small company so I can't move around within the company. There are only a few firms hiring right now in my field, and the commute to those offices would be too long, so I can't try a different firm. I just find the work stressful and difficult, so would prefer a total change. I would like to trial working for a not-for-profit as I think it would be more rewarding, but I'm not sure where to start, and I don't know if I have the right qualifications anyway. I guess career changes are long, slow processes so I guess I'll take my time with it and just keep trying to find something better. Thanks again for your help.

@Anne2021 

Hello Anne

I hear you about the wish to change career path because of stress, lack of non-financial reward and, also, concern about what possible future options may or may not offer.

During my working life I changed employment/career paths a number of times, for similar reasons to those that you are considering.

It is nearly 3 months since your visit in March, I hope that you do return to the forum to see what members have suggested if you are still considering these options. The information relating to your request may assist others in their assessment and search for alternative employment and personal and leisure activities.

You seem to have asked for advice about a number of questions, being:

Dealing with loneliness at home (and possibly, in general)

Future career path options, while taking into account:

• possible use of current qualifications

• retraining options

• the financial and time investment cost of retraining

• potential for enjoyment of future work options

• wish to reduce stress-fullness of work

• considering working in aged care
  • your vulnerability to stress as a result of recent:

• mental illness

• homelessness

Anne, we strive to maintain anonymity within and outside the forum, so it is the policy of the forum that any information that you provide should not identify you or any one else. I ask you to take that into account when offering responses to suggestions and answering requests for information.

To help members to offer their suggestions and options for consideration, it would be good to have some idea of:

1. the industry in which you currently work,

2. any work and interests that you may already have considered

3. your age range (eg. twenties, forties.)

4. any travel limitations or requirements,

5. your current accommodation situation (in terms of permanency, stable but looking at other options, temporary, etc.)

6. what effect and any factors to be taken into account, with regard to your recent illness, when considering future work options

7. the illness that you have suffered (only as much information as you feel comfortable with)
  8. the region in which you live

Hoping that this response will assist you Anne, and possibly others also.

With My Best Wishes

HenryX

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance