Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Change123
Senior Contributor

bpd and peri-menopause

Hi

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this and how you have faired.

I'm starting to realise that when I had my meltdown a couple of weeks ago and how my anxiety has been over the top that this was when my periods were due.  It seems I'm going through another spell of not having periods (this happend same time last year for 6 months) and wondering if this has caused me to get so bad all of a sudden? They are about 3 weeks overdue and usually since I have been going through peri-menopause they are always early (ie. I get them every 3 weeks).

Or maybe

Things just took its toll on me but I do feel a little bit more wound up than usual?

Will discuss with my GP when I see on Wednesday.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: bpd and peri-menopause

Hi @Change123. I have experienced some heightened anxiety to the point of not being able to leave the house when my periods are due. I am on a contraceptive pill which stops them but still feel as though I go through mood swings, anxiety etc (my husband knows now to keep a safe distance and offer gifts of chocolate) additionally, you can almost chart my sick days to my cycle and this happening.  All the best with your GP appointment on Wednesday. our hormones certainly do like putting us on the rollercoaster don't they?

Hi @Change123
I'm like that too. In fact atm I'm bad 😬 My GP thinks I'm going through menopause even though blood test didn't show anything. It's so hard to deal with. Yeah chocolate @Special_k is my saviour 😊

Yes - have been having a hard time and finally had hormone tests which show I am now in menopause- harder to tell for me cause I have merina IUD which made it hard to tell when periods happened anyway. It has been hard for about two years mood wise - and also blasts of anger, the main difficulty is that mood is much less predictable that premenstural syndrome. I feel better now it is clearer.

Hi @Change123 ....

my 'mental health' probs started when I stopped sleeping/adrenaline rushes at age 28ys..I needed bio-progesterone... I am now 63yrs.... I have recently discovered that most of my probs were/are hormonal.... I now need/using bio-eostogen.. A bit late for me as other problems have arisen..

my psych is interested in the hormonal/menal health link.. if you google it, info will come.. trouble is, getting a doctor to help... peri-menoause usually needs biodentical -progesterone.. just get it for homones and not mention mental health till after you feel better..

Namaste-Inga

Thanks @BlueBay@Special_k@joannah@Inga

@BlueBay those blood tests are crap even my doctor told me that they have increased the gap to what "normal" is so even now after my periods stopping for 6 months last year and now again the tests dont show anything for me but they do recognise that its perimenopause. i used to be on the pill but that cuased me so much grief after so many years so I had my tubes tied instead as I knew we didnt want kids. 

Tomorrow when I sese my GP for a review on how I'm going with the increase of meds I will speak to her about it as well but it should be in the report from the pysch as he also acknowledged that this could be causing me more issues but obviously as wel all know with hormones hard to prove sometimes.

@Inga I think it has made my BPD much worse, everything got so much more worse when I came off the pill about 11 years ago and had my tubes tied so maybe inadvertently they were helping my moods.  

aaaggghhh we have to put up with a lot!

🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance