Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

mudsum
Senior Contributor

Therapist jealousy

Hi friends,

So i hear this from one of my other friends who attends therapy and has her own mental health journey, but recently as she has been sharing her stratergies i have really been feeling jealous of her relationship and the fact that her therapist has all these cool names for her stratergies... 

Sounds so silly. i'm looking at it and getting lots out of it for my self. I am happy for her growth and healing but sometimes it feels like there is seriously somethign wrong with me. I also watch as she is moving through healing much faster than i am. 

i know in my head that comparisons are dangerous and that i have DID that will take many years of secure therapy to help heal but just makes me angry. there i said it the angry emotion

has anyone experienced this therpist jealously before?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Therapist jealousy

Hey @mudsum
I don't have exactly the same experience, but when I'm struggling emotionally I do feel jealous hearing about people who feel supported by the help they receive, or even just hearing about people who actually have supports set up (doctor, therapist etc). I typically haven't had good, helpful experiences with therapy or even short term professional help. So it can really get to me to hear about other people feeling "so supported" and whatnot when I feel like I have no one.
So it makes complete sense to me that you could feel angry when comparing your situation to your friend's. It's not silly at all.

Hi guys. I think this raises a really important matter. And i am picking up the vibes of what its based around and would like to put my two bobs worth in. And its based around insecurities from the professionals and are placed upon the receiver of the service they are paid to provide. Because they sense they are no longer the ones giving help. (Which the pride themselves on and psychologically feed off of) it becomes a normal human relationship. Where they are no longer the dominant parties of. And from my experiences it really upsets them. And will turn their mental health tools boxes into a case of throwing a spanner in the works of the client. Its not fair and entraps the client into the patient mentality and person needing help scenario. Meanwhile they take home a pay cheque. And with medication taken into account its very easy for them to manipulate to the situation to work for them. They are getting paid which allows them to solve the problems (in my case and many others ) Which the client / sevice receiver is faced with.

Hello @mudsum

I think that is really helpful that you are noticing your emotional reaction to learning that about someone's connection with their therapist, I think it would be really interesting for you to talk that through with your psychologist to learn more about where that jealousy is coming from as I don't think that jealousy would necessarily be just playing out in your therapeutic relationship but perhaps also in other aspects of your life, do you think? Or is it just something you have felt with your therapist?

Lunar 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance