Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Seniors Matter

Hi @Former-Member @Emelia8 

Thanks for thinking of me.

Yes Seniors do matter (very much).

I'm virtually a Senior myself - depending on where you put the starting Age (very Relative).

Senior Age used to be (was always) 55 y.o.

Now being pushed up higher - As a means of denying people services until Older (Cost-cutting), & to make people keep on working until they die (have No Retirement).

The Aged Pension has been pushed up to 70y.o (from 65) - Superannuation Claim Age has been pushed back to 60y.o (from 55).

I do love my animals & birds - Not a Substitute for a Human Family (human companionship), in my opinion.

No I'm not faring well, at the moment - You maybe guessed, from my not posting/ writing anything.

AdgeHeart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yeah @Adge, I have noticed your absence. Sorry you're struggling. Sucks! I know. Is it just everything getting you down? Or something specific? Guessing you've not had much luck finding work which is really hard. I use to pretend job seeking & rejections WAS my work, why they paid me $250wk (or whatever Newstart / the DOL was. Have to play these little games in me head, to survive. I really hope good news comes your way soon. Let's share a lottery ticket or something, for my birthday this w'end. I'm on a winning streak... Won $13 last week (spent $15 lol), anyway. Yep, I'm 7yrs older than you Adge, sad I know. Ageing starts getting difficult n ya 50s, we actually have to actively fight it off to slow it down, I'm not good at work. Anyway, my son said he'll take me out to lunch, so guess I'm blessed to have someone. Haven't passed on my new address to everyone so probably not cards. No matter, I recycle last year's when nothing comes (lol another mind trick I play - someone use to love me).

Feeling my age today @Former-Member @Adge @Emelia8 and wondering why I am still in the work force.

Trying to remain positive and move forward. Will I spend the rest of my days living like this? I have my “work face” on today, fully made up, corporate clothes...playing the public service game...attending meetings.

I really should be more grateful for what I have but I just feel a fraud.

Our fur babies do so often keep us going @Former-Member I know I would not still be here without mine - now I have another one and she is keeping me on my toes Smiley Tongue

The silver lining of my sister moving so much closer to my parents is she is a matter of minutes away from them now and can help out a lot. She still takes the dogs for a walk everyday and can help feed them until my Mum and Dad are back to better health - which is happening slowly.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Eve7, good to see you 😊 Sounds like you're just going through the motions there with work... in some kinda autopilot or something. And Sounds like you have significant corporate responsibility ? You probably feel worse than you come across, understand the 'feeling fake' - but is that maybe an emotional disconnect? Blackdog has a way of tearing away at our successes... self image... It's good if you can hang onto a job as long as possible, maybe go part time if need be, 'cause a lot of time at home with depression & no structure is problematic too, that's what I've found anyway. I struggle without purpose. Really proud of you remaining positive and moving forward 👍. I'm certain you wont "spend the rest of ya days feeling like this" because you're getting good at creating positive memories and planning lots of self care (like taking ya holidays away and lots of soaking in fragrant bubblebaths etc) You know what I mean. Hope you can anyway.
Meanwhile, I'm sure your “work face” is lovely 😉 Keep those skills up hun, you've put the work in to build them up, be proud of your abilities, they're a part of who you are too. "Fearfully and wonderfully made" Delightfully complex, perfectly imperfect, eternally loveable...
💗💗💗 (it's true)

Hi @Zoe7 it brings joy to hear the blessing your furbabies are to you. Your sister is a gem helping your parents, living close. I had 3bros within 10min of mum & dad and they couldn't even be depended on to take the bin out every week. Dad had a few falls down the steep driveway doing it. Maybe girls are just better at self sacrifice. I'm glad you have a good sister and your parents have you both 😇

@Former-Member ... What a wonderful response you made to Eve7 👍💓

You are such a kind, thoughtful, practical and wise woman. And we are all very blessed to have you around. Thank you dear @Former-Member 🙏

Emelia 💞

Thank you @Former-Member  you are very encouraging as is @Emelia8 

Off to Melbourne for just over 24 hours and taking gd with me as she’s never been there.

Sunny here today and rain forecast tomorrow in Melbourne grr.

Take care folks. I’ll wave to my NSW friends as we fly over.

💜🤗💜🤗💜

Good morning @Eve7 😄

Enjoy your time away with your grand daughter. Sounds like you may be chasing the rain South. 💦

Take care, and safe travels. 🌷

Emelia 💞

@Former-Member My sister has been an absolute angel throughout my Mum and Dad's recovery. It must be so tiring for her but she has continued to be there every day - I am in absolute awe of her with everything she has done for them Heart I have done very little in comparison but I also live much further away and my health has also not been very good so limited in what I can do and how much I can be there. 

It is so disappointing that your siblings were not able/wanted to help more with your parents across time ...but you did all you could and you should be very proud of yourself for that Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Zoe7 - yes I am proud, just wish those who matter most would say thanks, just once. So many 'hangups' in my family (me included lol). Hope you're ok, and tiny furbub settling. I'd be scared of rolling on her in my sleep, so tiny. Why 'clover'? Unusual name that's growing on me 🤗
Thanks @Emelia8, sometimes I surprise myself, it's hard for me to focus / concentrate most days. Thanks for saying 👍

@Eve7 - speaking of grandkids - mybro3 just tx pic of my great nephew, estranged sister's first grandbub. She always does these things before me. Mixed feelings. Maybe even a bit jealous. . Very emotional 😭 since. Wishing I could share these joys with my sister. Guess I'll mail a card that for all I know just get get chucked in the bin, she never affirms, why bother even trying. She's teaching me to live without her (guess it's what she wants and I'm letting go. Which is a death to me, each time, and triggers a SI tsunami. Still hurts 😢 No, I'll just leave her be if not being in her life makes her happy.
Loss is hard.

@Emelia8 thanks for saying, how's your day been?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance