Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

New Job- Managing illness at work

My current contract is ending and I've started to look for a new job and I have some interviews coming up.

The problem is my mental illness impacts my ability to work effectively. The question is, how do I manage this? Over the last 3 years I've lost two jobs due to mental illness and this last job I've been at has been a bit of a struggle and I've not gone as well as I would have hoped. 

I really struggle with getting out of bed and getting going- but I read on another's post that they took their meds early in the evening, so I'm going to give that a go and see if that helps.

But I also really struggle with concentration, thinking on my feet and remembering things. I'll have conversations with people and unless I write down exactly what was said I don't remember anything. I can't just take a few brief notes 'cause I won't remember what those notes mean. When people pop by my desk and ask about projects, I'll need 10 min to work out what is happening and people don't understand that you are actually doing your job, but that you just struggle to remember things. 

How do I stop this becoming a problem in my new job? What should I say to a new boss? Should I say something at the interview or wait till I get the job? Does anyone have any hints about how to manage this and not let it impact my work?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: New Job- Managing illness at work

Hello Bec,

Having a job and not feeling like you can tell your boss you have issues with your mental health at times can be hard.

Is almost like a gamble.

Will they be great and support me ? or will they not want me at the work place?

Ive always thought honesty is the key, because wouldn't it be great if you found a work place that would support you so 😄

Im wondering if you could find a job that has repeated tasks if this might help- like at a factory -for just an example. If you do the same thing in your work role each day it might help with memory.

How do you take care of your mental health? This will give us all an idea too on other suggestions we can offer 🙂

Baboo

For the past while I've actually been really well. These days the most important thing I think is taking my medications and avoiding the temptation to stay at home and do nothing all day. I just really lack any drive or determination these days and if I didn't force myself I wouldn't really do much with my time. So keeping a routine, going to work, doing some study, making sure I see my friends, cooking healthy food, keeping ontop of everything. Having social contact with my friends and feeling like I'm achieving things at work is also important. 

I'd been quite ill for a number of years, but now I'm feeling a lot better so I'm trying to get my life back on track. 

I'm working in administration and doing a job that is below what my abilities used to be, so my self esteem is also taking a bit of a booting struggling with a job I would of in the past found super easy. 

Once I'm on a task I'm fine, it's just remembering all the tasks I need to do in a day, multi-tasking or transitioning from one task to the next is hard.

The best thing out of all this is that your aware of it.

And it looks like your doing the right things too, like making sure your out doing the things you need to- and staying in contact with friends.

Do you have to make your self "to do lists" at work? i do wayyy to much, i end up with little posted notes to myself every where.

Well at least you do have a job too! Pat your self on the back for that one.

Hi @Former-Member

I just read your posts and wanted to check in to see how things are?

You're certainly not alone trying to manage a MI and work. I wanted to point out this thread that might be of interest to you.

There's a few members who have spoken about work recently that you might like to connet with.  I think @kato might have gone back to work recently, @Pixie has also given some wonderful advice re working with a MI.  @Crazy_Bug_Lady has had some difficulties with her workplace that she is currently working through, and  @Former-Member was also thinking about returning to work. I think @Appleblossom works too. Perhaps some of these members can share there thoughts about working and MI.

CB

@Former-Member

You seem very clear about the difficulties ie short term recall, and transitioning and setting up a new focus. I have experienced this and I think it is a function of being in overwhelm and having to sift through mental noise to focus on task.  List, lists, ahhh lists. Apparently lists can quite normal and it is the attitude we take to things that matters most.

My exhusband did not tell work in Australia about his MI as it was not a supportive work culture. We started a company and made enough money so that we each have a small home and can follow our creative interests. I can be creative and call it early retirement for us both. I see that as success, but it may not help you.

The work I have done since I left the Public Service has been professional, independant, varied and basically it has not been appropriate to mention MH issues.  It is just do the job. I have physical issues as well as MH and can only manage very part-time (eg 2 hour per week) at present but as the empty nest syndrome kicks in I am sure I will have energy for more work paid or unpaid.

You might be in a position where a supervisor is sympathetic and if you can stipulate parameters that help you operate at your best, such as no casual interruptions etc. They might help. A lot depends on the environment but admin should be somewhat accomodating.

Hi @Former-Member and welcome. I have BPD and Social Anxiety and work full time (5 days a week plus one weekend a month) and work at a farm one day a week (which is calming and fun for me). So all in all I work 6 days a week. As much as I have trouble getting out of bed and to work, my anxiety makes me worry what'll happen if I don't go to work. So I suppose that's lucky...
I've had a fair few meetings at work about my behaviour due to my MI. Which sucks. While I can't avoid these meetings, I have been able to ask that HR (one person in particular) is not involved, as she is very triggering, and makes the meetings useless (as I have an attack and dissociate and don't speak or remember). I have been open with my workplace about my MI, which they have said they are grateful for.
I'm not sure if it would be possible for you, but when I have meetings with people at work I sometimes record the conversation (after asking permission). Then when I have a chance, I take notes from the recording.
I also write a To Do list each day, and then prioritise and organise the list. People at work used to laugh, but I noticed others do it now too. 😂

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll respond in full later.

I just need to blow of steam.

F my boss

F mental illness

and F trying to work with mental illness.

Note to self. Never disclose to a boss again.

Sorry you had a shit to deal with.

Bottom line .. if the govt is serious about disability it has to be better dealt with in work force.. it is so much easier for the average person to relate to when it is physical but that should not really matter .. it is what working against stigma is about.

I now have a cup of tea and a cat purring on my lap.

Things are better. 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance