Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Change123
Senior Contributor

NORMAL SEEMS WRONG TO ME

HI all

Before I disappear I wanted to ask if anyone else has this experience and if the @Former-Member can help.

Since my hormones going crazy last few weeks I'm finding to act " normal"  it feels so wrong to me.  Example I may think that I'm being subdued, quiet and withdrawn but others comment especially my partner that I'm acting really good and " normal"  and then when I'm thinking I'm acting normal thats when I get told that I'm acting out and very BPD. Its got to the point that I dont trust myself and find to get through and not cause waves at work or home I just basically have to keep to myself - which leaves me feeling very lonely and like a bit of a failure or rather that people dont like the real me if this is the real me.

Since progress made in the last 8 months I have had that feeling just a little and was able to get over it but now that feeling is really intense. 

I'm going to be on the safe side and go back to daily disciplines as I'm terrified that my progress was only due to lack of hormones when I didnt have my periods and now that they are back I want to make sure I dont go down that slippery slope so need to get more disciplined I think. 

Any advise?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: NORMAL SEEMS WRONG TO ME

Hi @Change123

I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about how hormones can impact mental illnesses to give you specific feedback.

I think being on the safe side and going back to daily disciplines as a preventative is a really great idea. It's definitely worth highlighting to a GP or psychiatrist next time you have an appointment, to see if they can measure your hormones and see if there's any correlation. 

In the meantime, if you don't already, it could be worth creating a check in diary so you can note these observations (yours and those of people around you) to see if there's an patterns emerging.

I think the your insight and proactive approach to all this is just credit to all the hard work you've already done.

Would love to hear more from members, if they have experienced anything similar.

Hi @Change123

I also don't have official information, but I did have a friend who didn't have her period for a few years, and when it returned she felt incredibly unstable.

Hormones do have an impact on emotions so it's understandable that things can feel like a bit of a roller coaster. When things feel this intense I think it's difficult to know what 'normal' is. My thoughts on this is 'normal' is based on how you would usually behave, like behaving in character.

I echo NikNik. It's good that you're going down the safe side and sticking with daily discipline. Self care can go along way for body and mind!

Hormones can wreck havoc on a persons emotional and mental state.  I suggest you get your levels tested and balanced out.  

Besides that, I think there is no such thing as "normal".  But the idea of normal as being the acceptable way of behaving, evolves over time and pop culture.  It also can be very different depending on the group you are associating with.  Bottom line, there is no such thing as "Normal"...but there are certain expectations that people have...find the ones who expect you to be you...:)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance