Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

MDT
Community Guide

My 2020 (amongst so many other's 2020 experiences)

Hi all

Hams here making a new post

You know I think this year has been hard on all of us. But I think I forgot how it affected me on a personal level. 

In February after completing an internship I had a few networking events lined up. I had some references. I also had some stuff published. That was pretty cool. 

Of course in March I had some planned events to go to but they fell through due to corona. 

I also met a girl on a dating app and we had a few Skype chats. But she had to move to a different city. That was pretty bad for me. I thought there was something that could transpire but it didn't. It is the second time it happened to me actually. The first time was during 2018/19 when I couldn't return to Poland. 

There was also my Colombian friend who had her own issues in life and how that had impacted her. It was a testable friendship at times. I guess it is in the past now. But it did hit me hard. The impact that her ex had on her was damaging. Then for her to be harassed by some random guy she just met when right next to me was another level entirely. I was happy that I chose to intervene. But it was exhausting.

Then I was working all through corona as if nothing had happened or changed in the world. I was placed in some situations I hated with a passion. A low key job that was made harder by bad colleagues. Lots of politics, personality clashes, pettiness etc. Add to that the fact that there is a divide between boomers and millennial in my workplaces and its a recipe for who knows what.

I made the choice to go back to work. It was a hard choice. I remember getting really stressed and upset about it this year because I didn't know what to do. But I went back with the knowledge that I'd be challenged and I guess I have met that challenge head on and defeated it by just going back, but also needing to help others who were new. 

I am unsure what to do in my life next. I have been thinking about maybe going and doing a law degree. Working near that industry in my current role has made me see that field in a new light. I must also balance that with my desire to move out. Maybe I even need to start looking for a new job. 

Currently my coworkers are hard to put up with. One won't stop asking very personal questions and keeps looking at me.. If he crosses the line at any point i need to be ready to deploy my defences and take it to the next level if need be. The other is fussy and doesn't listen. A great deal of patience is required for that.

I saw my p doc yesterday and he doesn't want to see me till January which was good to hear. Seeing as a few months ago I was about to quit work and I had SI...

We are nearly in November.  Who knows what is next i guess.

I'm reminded of a quote from Seneca that I read recently 

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity"

Maybe that describes 2020 for me the best. 

@Judi9877 @Shaz51 @TAB @greenpea @BlueBay @Meowmy  @Appleblossom @frog @eth @Angels333 @Dec @Darcy
@Ant7 @Molliex @Jacques @Dizzyizzy @Maggie @NatureLover @Eve7 @DJMasters @BPDSurvivor @oceangirl @WIP @Schitzo
31 REPLIES 31

Re: My 2020 (amongst so many other's 2020 experiences)

youve done alright @MDT  and maybe those type of people is just part of being in public service. think the benefits outweigh that, it is very well paid with guaranteed promotions and payrises, high super with high returns and cant get sacked, its like like in 1970s except a lot better paid lol 

@MDT  I think this will be a valuable thread for many of us. Remembering 2020, and facing unexpected challenges.

I’m going to think about my own, and return with my contribution.

Thanks @MDT . Well done. 👍👍

@TAB i wish it was 1970s in regards to music and politics lol
these days it's not as cool

I'm glad to hear it will be valuable @Maggie
Good on you friend. Take care 🙂
See you soon

No its not @MDT  I was still a kid then anyway 

I like it Hams @MDT 

thought provoking my friend, I am interested to seeing responses :0

@TAB @Maggie  and all 🙂

Ok @Anastasia Good onya my friend 🙂
Thanks for dropping in

always here for you buddy 🙂

@MDT 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance