Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ArraDreaming
Senior Contributor

How do you mentally “reset”

I’m just sitting enjoying the sun on our back deck, wondering what others do in times of stress to kinder reset? 

Theres a lot going on for me and my household at the moment nothing horrible or major, just general busyness which is weighing on my mind a lot, cant keep up 

We went out to a friends property today, sat around a outside fire while the kids rode their bikes and we soak up the winter sunshine… 

I spent about 10 mins or so laying flat on the ground on a picnic rug with one of my kids just listening to the world around us and looking up at the sky and the birds 

I felt about 50% lighter with less weight on my shoulders by the time i got up and went back to what I was doing before. 

It got me thinking this arvo, what do you do to reset from the busyness of the world just for a few moments, I find little moments like that are like little brain resets, when you turn your computer off and on again, and all of things that were on display or plaguing you about the device disappears and you can reopen what you need as you need it 

so what do you do? and if you don’t do anything, have a think about switching your brain off for 10 mins of your life, it works hard, it needs a rest. 
I’m not a traditional meditation kinda guy, I can’t stand it actually, but just *being* seems to do the trick for me

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do you mentally “reset”

Just 'being' and allowing yourself to be yourself helps me reset. I'm interested to hear what others do @ArraDreaming 

Hugs

@ArraDreaming @Mentally resetting is still quite a challenge for me.

although in reading your post, I had the realisation that I need to incorporate this concept of mentally resetting each day, irrespective of what has transpired during the day.

Thank you , and with gratitude I move on to the next challenge, and I know that all the others who are like me and put the H into ADHD will relate! 

I need to “actively do “ all the things! A paychologist once explained that some people meditate and others “do meditation” and he elaborated that for those who are strong with the hyperactivity skill, sitting still for any length of time is a horrifying and even the thought of it causes me to shudder.

when I am in my best mindset, and having more steps towards my best life than not, I turn to my personal sanctuary that I have created in my home.

this is sort of like a sensory room, with a yoga mat! I find Yoga and QiGong are helpful as I can choose from restful, grounding, energising, rejuvenating etc styles.

I am a very visual and I have many candles and essential oil defusers which have themed lighting to accompany the sense of calm I feel with certain scents.

I also enjoy listening to binaural beats! I have an activating play list I affectionately have named “Bring me the Dopamine” which is a list of songs highly annoying to the rest of my family and therefore I invested in the most comfortable noise cancelling earphones ever!. I have playlists that are more calming and help set the sleep vibe and then I have my “don’t panic at the disco” list which in conjunction with other soothing sensory actions, have been known to take my panic from max to bearable.

my ultimate full body reset is specific bath. Being immersed in water , soothes my over stimulated skin and just gives me a sense of feeling cocooned and safe.

Let me explain, this is not just any bath. I go all out on a regular basis … I have milk and honey with rose petals and candles , or I blend essential oils and add a bathbomb with calendula and roses, depending on how my skin is feeling.

all my baths have various versions of salt , Pink Hymalayan , Dead Sea Salt, Celtic Salt, and a whole heap of salt blends.

as an aside, I find a hot bath really helps with my endometriosis pain!

I am working on an outlet for anger at the moment or more specifically the huge burst of energy that accompanies anger. During the day. I can manage it with some intense exercise, martial arts training or dancing… however in the evening , these activities are not helpful when I need to try and get to sleep. 

If I am looking for a 10minute reset , my go to is definitely music and noise cancelling earphones. 

Looking forward to hearing other techniques

Hi @ArraDreaming,

As eluded to in your post, the benefits of 'mindfulness' and simply taking the time to enjoy the small things in life, are effective ways to reset. 

Like you, the business, routine, and 'noise' of life can sometimes require room for pause and quiet reflection. In this regard, other simply ways to switch off include watching a feel good movie, exercise (particularly swimming, which requires controlled breathing), and immersing oneself in nature. 

Just thoughts...

Hi @ArraDreaming

This is something I struggle with, I don't get to allocate enough time for mental reset, but I should. I get carried away with work sometimes, I just keep going, and going! When I do get a chance, I mentally reset by just being alone in a quiet place, most of the time outdoors under the sun, not talking, just absorbing my surroundings, and sounds of nature and reading a book with a cup of coffee, that's my happy place 🙂 Now that you mentioned it, from now on I am going to lock this into my calendar and make it a priority, to stop, relax and recharge regularly, Take care. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance