Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: New member

Hi @Minkie-Rose and thanks for replying. I've tried some interest groups but haven't found anything that's stuck so far. I'm finding it a challenge especially as my old interests all feel rather meritless at present but will continue to try.

Hey @Alifewithoutjoy, how are you doing this morning?

By the way, I definitely empathise with you when it comes to old interests seeming meritless. I've found it pretty disconcerting when I try to do things that I previously enjoyed, and now I feel nothing. The way I look at it (which might resonate with you, might not) is that, when daily life is taking so much energy just to navigate, our brains really don't want to waste energy on unnecessary tasks. I try not to put too much pressure on myself to enjoy hobbies/events just because I objectively should, or because other people tend to enjoy them. That can be a pretty tall order when struggling with multiple mental illnesses... or even one.

I try to walk a balance between trying new hobbies, returning to old hobbies, and not biting off more than I can chew. I really relate to the spoons theory. (You might, too?) It helps me reframe what I'm capable of, and avoid feeling that I'm failing for not being mentally well. It also gives me hope, because taking time to address my mental illnesses now means I will have more spoons in the future.

All that is to say, you're not alone. Realising that I don't desire/enjoy anything was really scary, but I've found a way to take the sting out of that, with the help of my therapist. I know that I'll feel deeper happiness and enjoyment in the future, even if it's inaccessible to me now.

Sorry to ramble so much, I'm hoping that sharing some of what I experience will help you in some way. Feel free to take it or leave it! Most importantly, I hope you're doing alright when you read this.

Hi @Alifewithoutjoy , I want to congratulate you on your journey to sobriety it is a massive achievement and something that takes constant focus. It sounds to me like you have applied this in many ways to your mental health. Are you interested in finding a new therapist? I think finding the right fit is the most important part of getting therapy. 

There's no worries about oversharing or rambling this is the perfect place for just that. I hope the forum can offer you advice and insight! 

Are you well educated on ASD? 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance