Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Scream58
Senior Contributor

Having a moment

I decided to make a chocolate creation for Easter but dropped it as I assembled it and it shattered into multiple pieces. I guess my arthritic hands are past doing fiddly crafts.

Tears happened. 

My dexterity has left the building.

Here's what I was making. This one is I made years ago.

4e105b1733453f7f7a0d9f9a1f773247.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Having a moment

Sorry to hear of the demise of your chocolate creation @Scream58 

The old one certainly looks amazing!

@StuF  after weeks of struggling with fatigue today was the first time I actually felt like doing things. Maybe that was a bit ambitious. I've made hundreds of chocolate creations over the years. It didn't occur to me that my body is fighting me these days.

One mistake does not mean you should stop @Scream58 .. Are you going to try again?

@AussieRecharger I'll try something a bit less ambitious. Maybe work my way back to the more technical stuff. 

Hi Scream
How gorgeous to have been able to create such amazing edibles. What patience, vision and artistry!
I have arthritis too (osteoporosis in my lower back and hips), and have struggled against the pain. Just recently, after being flooded out, I realised hang on, if living means pain I'll accept it in order to re engage. Only took me 6 years and its early days yet, but I'm celebrating world bipolar day tonight by contributing to the forums instead of just reading them.
I am realising that in order to move in any way nearing 'normality' I have to strategise.
I'm willing to bet all the tea in China that what you made that disintegrated was many times better than I could have made.
Don't get mad, get even!
All the very best
@grayhorn

@grayhorn I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in Oct last year. It mainly affects my hands and lower legs (knees & feet). I have always been an "I can do anything" person. Less than 2 years ago I was able to build my own furniture from scratch, not flatpack. Now the combination of fatigue from a recent stroke and arthritis mean I struggle with simple tasks. 

I will probably do a decorated cake instead. I have done a couple of cakes in the last couple of months. 

@Scream58 

I totally empathise with the way health issues such as OA and strokes force us to live differently whether we like it or not. How fabulous to have made your own furniture. I was never as good at baking or woodwork as I would have liked, but I so enjoyed walking - down country roads or city streets and musing on the gardens and the sky. Re-engaging meaningfully just emphasises the need for strategies, and asking for help (which I loathe and must learn to at least tolerate!). Now I use a walking stick or lately with flareups, a wheelie walker, which my 4 year old grandson calls my stroller. I too struggle with simple tasks, and have had to strengthen my patience virtue which I have always found rather challenging.

I bet your cakes taste good.

All the very best

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance