Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Bb456
New Contributor

Advice needed

Hi I am a male 53 year old I was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 29 years old.I have been on anti psychotic medication for about 23 years.i have not seen a psychiatrist for about 20 years. I have a job a wife etc. I am wondering if it is possible to get of the drugs and are  unsure how to do this ?

Not sure what else to write here so look forward to any information I may be able to gain from this site. Thanks for reading this post.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Advice needed

Hi @Bb456 Welcome to the forums. I hope you will find this to be a supportive community. I will pop the guidelines here  for you as they can be a little hard to find. We don't give medical advice and people will mainly share their experiences. 😊

I'm not sure as this is not something I have experience with, but it would be best to chat to a psychiatrist about this. Would it be possible to chat to your GP about what you're thinking and perhaps they could steer you in the right direction? 

I wish you all the best on your recovery journey 😊

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed

Hi and welcome @Bb456

Hmm, I haven’t been off my meds, but took a while to find the right ones, but have seen and heard enough to not go off meds which can probably cause a relapse of symptoms… if not convincing enough I would suggest watching YouTube videos by “living well with schizophrenia”.

hope that helps, peace

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance