Skip to main content

Re: Welcome! Introduce yourself here ๐Ÿ™‚

Morning @Explorer7 and thank you for sharing your story ๐Ÿ˜Š 

How is your day looking today 

We have lots of different threads like Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope ) is a good one to click on 

Hope you have a good day 

Incredible story @Explorer7 .

Thank you so much for sharing! It was very heartfelt and your story really resonated with me.

Your comment about mental health (depression) making you mentally stronger is something I can totally agree with. For me also, my mental health challenges have allowed me to understand other people in a much deeper way. Through my challenges, I've felt I've learnt so much in life that I don't think i'd learn otherwise.

I am glad you have found the 'Wellness' thread ๐Ÿ™‚

We look forward to seeing you around.

Thanks @Shaz51 for the welcome.

I tend to try and live my days one at a time. A knock on effect of trying mindfulness I think. I listened to a couple of Jon Kabat-Zinn's mindfulness apps, when I was depressed, and got a lot ouf of them.

The Coping Toolbox ( what is in yours to help you cope ) looks formidable and I'm looking forward to reading it for some more wellbeing possibilities.

Hi, 

I'm new here. Have been managing PTSD for about 12 years and recently diagnosed with panic disorder. I thunk gaining supporting is important for anyone who is experiencing mental health. I'm proactive about my mental health and looking forward to learning new ways to improve my quality of life. I also have several chronic health conditions especially chronic pain and fatigue. Recently started writing down a list of things I have done each day especially on days I feel I haven't done much. Building my self esteem to feel connected to life again. Looking forward to starting my 14 day program with SANE 

Howdy @Justmejem! Welcome to the forums, so glad to have you with us!! 

Love a proactive approach! And what a great way to keep tabs on how your days unfold - if you're interested, you are always welcome to share them in our Daily Achievements thread! It always motivates me a bit more when I can let myself be inspired by the efforts and actions of others ๐Ÿ˜Š

Also to help you acclimatise to the forums: 

Forums Tips & Tricks!

Tips for Communicating Online

List of Social Spaces

Hope you find this to be a warm and welcoming community ๐Ÿ˜

Hi @tyme 

Well the 20th was my birthday and it was not a good day for me. Especially since it was my first birthday without my dad who past away on Christmas Day last year.

Usually most of July is not good for me.

In 2018, 2 days before my birthday my ex wrote my car off, and held me against my will all through the night and into the next day. Because of previous DV and needing time off work,  I had been told that if I had any more time off, they will be replacing me. And then the boss went on to tell me, that I need to smile more around the office, as it was bad for office morale. Anyway a day later there was another incident with the ex, which resulted in me having to go to the police station to report being held against my will and what took place during that time. I didn't arrive home until 3am the next morning. I then woke up to a forensic police officer knocking on my door, wanting to take pictures of my injuries.  I knew that I couldn't go to work that day, so I rang up an quit.

Eventually this lead to me having to declare bankruptcy, having my dream car repossessed, being evicted from the rental property I was living in and my daughter had to go to live with her father. So for me July reminds me of all of this trauma and everything that I lost.

I discussed it with my social worker on Thursday, and she said that I need to distract myself and do things that I enjoy to make new memories. 

But even if I am not thinking about what the date is, my body knows and the PTSD comes flooding back. I can't seem to escape the memories.

So if you have any ideas on how to process the memories and move on, I would love to hear them.

Hi @tyme 

I forgot to mention about one of my coin arrivals. I follow cricket and when I saw this coin for a good price, I couldn't resist. 

It is a 2015 $5 ICC Cricket World Cup 1oz Silver Proof Domed Coin.

2015_icc_cricket_world_cup_domed_silver_proof_coin__88132.jpg

โ€ƒ

Screenshot_20240728_040820_Edge.jpg

โ€ƒ

Screenshot_20240728_040831_Edge.jpg

I can't afford these sort of coins any more. So I have turned my attention on buying any commemorative $1 Silver Proof Coins.

Hi @Explorer7, I totally understand what you mean when you say that because of your depression you have now learned new skills and have a new career. 

I had to hit rock bottom after suffering through DV and then loosing everything I cared about. Before I did some very deep soul searching. 

My depression and PTSD was debilitating. I saw several psychologists, but I felt it wasn't helping me enough. After deciding to move out the other side of town to get away from my family who only contacted me, when they wanted something. I ended up finding a mental health clinician who totally got me.

So now I have learned why I was a people pleaser and why I continually attracted the wrong type of man. And also why I didn't learn about boundaries from a young age.

But now I have been to a workshop to teach me how to say "no" to people and stop putting other people's needs above my own. I have also learned about putting boundaries in place. 

So for me, I am sort of grateful that I hit rock bottom, because without that, I wouldn't have looked for help to learn why I am the way I am, and what I can do to make myself a better version. I have learnt a lot, but still have more areas to work on and improve.

I still have my good and bad days/weeks, but have noticed a change in a few different areas when I am in the bad days, that show me that I am learning. So that is giving me hope that I will get through this, even if it takes a few more years.

So thank you for sharing your story ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hi @ArraDreaming 

I am 54 and enjoy coin collecting, following my NRL team the Penrith Panthers and watching the V8 Supercars. I follow Cam Waters and anyone in a Ford Mustang.  Lol

I also enjoy spending time with my daughter and family when I am having my good days. 

@Mustang67 

Thank you for your kind words in the other post about being stronger for having reached rock bottom.

On PTSD, I can't speak from experience as I've never experienced it.

I've heard from other people referring to it as PTS i.e. they drop the "disorder" part, for its negative connotations. Apparently PTS can be seen as a natural response to traumatic events, emphasizing that it's a common reaction rather than an abnormal condition.

As far as processing the memories goes, and moving on, the memories could be regarded as an anchor attached to a chain, where the chain is tied around your waist. People have a choice of whether to drag the anchor around with them or whether to uncouple the chain, and let the anchor go. This does not mean forgetting the associated memories. It rather means letting the burden of them go so that you're free to look ahead, and get on with life. I've attached an image, from here, that elaborates what I mean. The choice is between above the line thinking and below the line thinking:

Above the line.jpg

So the theory goes, there's a short-term advantage to below the line thinking in that e.g. one doesn't have to change anything, and can keep on going as they are. An analogy is to not have to get out of bed in the morning. Or to e.g. get on the grog, which can wipe things out in the short term. But these are short-term gains, with no long term benefit. Whereas above-the-line thinking is where the big pay offs are.

As far as bad and good days go, days are like the weather. They come and go. And the good days represent something to look forward to. And if you have someone or something to love, and something to do, that amounts to equaminity (calmness and composure, especially in a difficult situation). Alternatively, if a bad day is like a winter day, one could also choose to go tobogganing or snow skiing, at least metaphoically speaking if not actually.