Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday now open / The road to recovery: Reengineering and rebuilding yourself

@CherryBomb

I have much more confidence now in myself and treatment. I have had issues with mental health concerns for 10 years now, with different mental health concerns (depression, anxiety and psychosis). I have learnt as much as I can about each condition, found the best treatment for each one (each condition benefited from different treatments).

In terms of other people's views and judgement.. That's something that still has some impact. I had a psychotic break and my behaviour became quite irregular, and the people in my wider social circle could see that. All they could see what my behaviour, they didn't know what was going on behind the scenes, and I'm sure they wouldn't care anyway. I still see most of those people. As a result I tend to keep to myself when I'm around them. I shut down because I know they have a misconception of me. I just remind myself that the people who matter knew what was going on and are still by my side. Not everyone will understand, and that's okay. It's not for everyone to understand. I do understand and I do not put myself down for my experiences. My experiences were different to other people's, but not any less "normal." In fact I am somewhat grateful for my experiences. I've learnt a lot, it's opened my eyes.

Re: Topic Tuesday now open / The road to recovery: Reengineering and rebuilding yourself

thanks for the question @CherryBomb

I think sitting the new space, and cultivating the new surrounds.

@Paige you sound like a very insightful person. Smiley Happy I think you're right, not everyone can understand mental illness, and sometimes it's not just a matter understanding the illness itself, but more a matter of people's capacity to understand that people's experiences differ to their own.

I just looked at the time, and realized that we've only got another 20 minutes. Sheeez, how time can fly by.

I got a few questions:

What are your next plans? How do you maintain wellness?

5 more minutes to go!

So if you've got any final thoughts please post them now.

@CherryBomb

Thank you 🙂
I agree that understanding other people's experiences can be different and that different isn't abnormal.

I have learnt a lot about my triggers and cognition. To stay well I like to eat right (sugar really affects my motivation and moods!), engage in intellectual material and conversations, connect with people, exercise, remain present and express gratitude as much as I can, and look at seemingly mundane things in a new light. I also like to keep my childlike side- I have a colouring book. Another important thing is to recognise signs of becoming unwell and to get on top of it as soon as possible. I was having trouble getting my head around a certain situation earlier this year and I knew if I didn't talk to someone about it it could trigger a relapse. So I contacted a psychologist and spoke it out. It allowed me to prevent relapse and refocus.

I am in mental health so am able to share my experiences with other people and help others with their individual journey.

My next move is to acquire an advocacy role and then later social and policy change. I am quite passionate about having people's voice be heard. They are the experts on themselves and their journey, and I like helping them express that to others (family members, clinicians, community services, etc). It's amazing how much being heard and taken seriously can help someone.

Thanks for holding the forum tonight.

Thank you everyone for your insights. It's great to have these conversations 🙂

That wraps up our conversation about 'The Road to Recovery'.

We had some wonderful insights: mainly that the road to recovery is an extremely personal and unique experience. Ultimately, wellness ties into our subjectivie notions of what it means to lead a succesful and happy life. And this is something that we can define. Remember, as @Paige mentioned we are the experts of our own lives.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance