Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

I think I can take things I've learnt and insights I've gained tonight into conversations I might have with people over the next week (and from then on) @Lauz. Just knowing we really don't know how others might be reacting or responding to things inside, and being a bit more sensitive to that perhaps. For me personally, I'm going to connect with my psychologist this week and talk about what's just properly clicked for me about how I can feel when I'm exposed to news and events like this.

Re: Topic Tuesday // Your mental health and the recent bushfires // Tues 28 Jan, 7pm AEST

@greenspace @Shaz51 Yeah doing this sort of safety planning in advance can help us with a sense of having some control in situations where we feel really out of control. it's important to focus on the things that we can still control and stay in the moment.

As we have also seen tonight - connection doesn't have to always be face to face. Its equally rewarding to share and connect with people in a safe online space like this!

Talking about ways to connect with people or community, has anyone seen some of the ways you can help out that don't involve money like crafting for some of the animals? That kind of thing can help bring connection, support and joy in one go as an option 🤗

@Lauz wrote:

@greenspace @CheerBear @Adge @Shaz51 - you have all shared some really insightful things here. What do you think are the kind of strengths can you draw on to help manage the feeings we all been sharing?

I think my memories of past traumas and my vivid imagination can both be strengths or weaknesses, depending how I use them. 

Remembering that I've survived a lot can help me believe I'll get through the difficulties now. 

Being able to imagine that I'm somewhere safe, and that every living thing that needs help is getting help, calms me when I'm overwhelmed with distress for others. 

That is a great step to take @CheerBear ! Well done!

That's great @CheerBear that you had some 'aha' moments from the chat tonight.  I think it's always good to remember too that everyone is doing the best they can at the time - helps us be more compassionate and tolerant too I think Heart

I realised it could help my anxiety if I had an emergency kit, with tinned food, water, important papers, etc., same here @greenspace , @Daphne , @Lauz , @Rainforest , @CheerBear 

Hello back @Shaz51 

Community and someone to talk with are so important as. As emergency service workers I would be typical in not wanting to traumatised others by talking about what I've seen and done so finding someone appropriate has been absolutely gold.

@greenspace - wow, that's such a great insight "Being able to imagine that I'm somewhere safe, and that every living thing that needs help is getting help, calms me when I'm overwhelmed with distress for others."  It's not always easy being able to sit with discomfort although having this practice, I'm sure gives you a lot of peace

@CheerBear That's great to be able to use the insight you have and to tread carefully. We all need to tread carefully and Without judgement as we learn that people experience these situations in all different ways. We don't know what people's histories are and just have to trust our own experience, honour that and look after ourselves in order to be able to stay connected with others or to withdraw as we need.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance