Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What does recovery mean to you? // 17 Oct. 7pm AEDT

I think that picture captures my understanding of recovery well @Lauz. Some people in my life seemed to have expected that I would very easily be able to "just get back into it". They seem/ed surprised that I had/have many ups and downs and rounds and rounds.I find these are the people who lack an awareness of my diagnosis/condition.

Thinking about what you @Mazarita, have just said about having a "lifelong illness", I am reading these responses and wondering whether recovery is not only is an individual idea/term, but how much different conditions/illnesses/diagnoses play into it also. I expect that there will be a time where PTSD is not something I meet the diagnostic criteria for, and therefore I don't believe I have a lifelong illness which maybe makes the idea of recovery somewhat less difficult to consider?

Doesn’t sound pessimistic to me at all, @frog. It sounds realistic. Well done on working part time.

I spent years beating myself up because I wasn’t getting any better. In the last few years I’ve come to accept that, in all likelihood, I will never ‘recover’. All I can do is live the best life that I am able to, in spite of my illness. But I have to accept the limitations my illness imposes on me. Since realising this, I’ve stopped feeling quite so much additional self-hate over my inability to get better.

The word you mentioned 'managed' and another word that came up earlier was 'aware' - and another word is Remission  @Lauz

In my recall, no pdoc has directly used the word recovery (or remission) in relation to Mr D but have used the word 'stable'.
I do not know about the psychologist as I do not go in with them.
The case worker had used the term but has focused on a relapse prevention plan, visits to her will be tapering but we will be looking at lifestyle interventions to optimize wellness.

Hey everyone, I'm Shakeelah. I would have been here on time and technically, I am but I forgot there was a time difference. For the site admin, can you maybe put a reminder up about the time because Qld has no time difference. Now I missed out 😞

I think it's really valid what @CheerBear says about there possibly being a difference in recovery outlook between different types of mental illness. The ones that are strongly related to genetics (such as bipolar) do seem to be lifelong conditions. Perhaps there is a different outlook for other conditions that are not so 'hard wired'. It does seem like we all get lumped in together as 'mentally ill' sometimes and a term like 'recovery' seems to be used as a blanket term for us all. Whereas we are all dealing with different conditions.

Feeling for you too, @Adek. Thanks for understanding. 

@Former-Member I really hear what you are saying. 

It can be a tiresome journey dealing with not only the word recovery but everyone elses versions of it around you. However, what I am also hearing and seeing is that all of us in this discussion share a form of this impact which means - so everyone is not alone in this Also, could having the self awareness of triggers, things that may effect you (like this topic), feelings each day of where you are mentally mean you are living a 'recovered' or 'managed' life.

This brings me to the next question - as there are many different views of recovery, maybe we can share some things that make you feel good which could also mean recovered? (Ie. Getting out of bed each day, attending work, being social, noticing what your mood is)

Welcome @Shakeelah25! Sorry for the time difference issue. Don't worry you are here now and we still have plenty of time Smiley Happy

@Mazarita we have a lot in common. When I was young I held onto the idea that MI would eventually 'go away.' That notion is not sustainable in the face of 30+ years of experience. I think letting that go, as well as the 'norms' we see that don't fit, are steps in the right direction - towards more peace. Acceptance is hard.

I think making an effort to engage in activities, even if its an activity where you don't have to talk with others. Like yoga or do an arts and crafts activity
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance