Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

So sorry to hear this @Hillsy
I know of folks at Ward 17 who didn't spend enough time there. Insurance companies can be real buggers about this. Maybe your husband needs to go back for another stay. I don't think I know anyone from Ward 17 who has only been once. It can sometimes take several visits. It sounds like the folks at Ward 17 need to be informed of how he's been doing since his discharge. Is he a member of the Ward 17 Family facebook group?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Thanks so much @DeanYates For sharing your experiences, & what helped you. Also your insights & suggestions.

Thanks @Lauz & @NikNik heaps for organising things.

Adge

Hi everyone,

Just letting you know that we have about 5 mins left.

Nik

Hi @Former-Member
I was lucky because my wife wanted to be part of my journey. She has wanted to share it with me. I could not have done it without her.

My view is spouses/partners need to be part of any recovery plan. It's not going to truly work otherwise. And try to find a psych/therapist willing to work with both people. I always say this to folks. Ward 17 engaged my wife, they spoke to her.

Thank you @DeanYates

Hi @Adge,

I'm a bit late to the party tonight and I'm just reading through the thread now. I have not heard of psychologists being reluctant to do EMDR with complex trauma. It's odd that you have encountered that.

Something else you said caught my eye - you said that you weren't aware of your clients at work having PTSD. My understanding is that you work with people with intellectual disabilities, is that right? I think there is an absolute dearth of understanding or support for people with ID, when it comes to mental illness. That is, any behaviours these people exhibit tend to be put down to the ID rather than considering they may be struggling with mental health issues. I mean, if someone has spent most of their life in group homes etc. perhaps not always receiving optimum care and perhaps has difficulty communicating, I think it is highly probable that they have some trauma related issues. Do you have any thoughts about that?

Thank you all, especially @DeanYates. It has been very informative and helpful. Very much appreciated:)

Yes that's an important point @DeanYates

My ex-wife was very much against my going into therapy (Psychologist), she did not believe in any form of therapy.

Adge

So glad everyone could join. I'll get to the remaining questions. But let me finish by saying this: Loved ones can help someone with PTSD by really being there, by trying to understand what the sufferer is going through, by offering support and love. By encouraging the sufferer to talk and share. Tell the person you are on this journey with them, that they are not alone.

Apparently he was a member of the facebook page but at the time there was quite a bit of complaining which he didn't find helpful, so he left the group. He is in touch with a couple of the guys he met, one of which has gone back in. He did get in touch with Ward 17 but they directed him to other health professionals (it was over New Year so the ward closed down I think). He does see his psychologist and psychiatrist regularly though now. My gut feeling is the meds they have him on at the moment are not working. I am gently suggesting he go back to Ward17 but it needs to be once he is ready

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance